• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve cover- how do you get the CCV lines off?

rammie

NAXJA Forum User
Time for new gasket for valve cover, but how do you get the vaccum lines off the cover? Mine are really brittle and really stuck. Are they supposed to disconnect somewhere? Or do they pull out directly off the valve cover? I only have Haynes manual and all it says it to remove them. Dont know how or where to take them off.

What year? If you break it no worries. Do a search and you will find a bunch of threads to fix it. Mainly it involves replacing it with a piece of brake line that you bend to the shape you desire to keep it outta the way.

Your going need new grommets for the valve cover. Dealer only I think. Mine where so brittle they cracked trying to get them off.

rammie said:
Time for new gasket for valve cover, but how do you get the vaccum lines off the cover? Mine are really brittle and really stuck. Are they supposed to disconnect somewhere? Or do they pull out directly off the valve cover? I only have Haynes manual and all it says it to remove them. Dont know how or where to take them off.

If it is a Renix, they should just pull out. If it is an HO, they turn and come out, but I think you have to remove the valve cover to get them out. If it is a Renix, Napa carries replacements and a search should turn up the part #'s.

Its on a 99. Tried getting them out but both hoses cracked at the plastic part that goes into the valve cover. With the valve cover off, should I just hammer them out from the inside? They are really stuck, it seems impossible that they would just pull off. So it looks like I need to find new grommets as well as both plastic parts for the lines.

This happened to me a few weeks ago. After breaking the bottom all the way around I just ended up taking a flathead screwdriver under the grommet and popped the whole thing out. Wish I had thought of that before...

One of my older xjs(88 or 92) you could twist the ccvs 90* to get them out once you removed the hoses. On the later ones (95 and 96 at least), you have to take off the valve cover to remove them.

Back