• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Uwharre Forest trail ride

Mpeckham22

NAXJA Forum User
Hey im looking to see if anyone is going to the Uwharre some weekend soon. Looking for someone who is familiar with the place. no set plan but if people chime in we can get something going.

Uwharrie is pretty deperessing now that they graded Daniel. First ledge is almost completely gone, and there is absolutely no second ledge. Upper rock garden at Daniel is still a blast, but if you really enjoyed the ledges this will be a big kick in the pants.

There is a ride at the Flats this weekend you guys should check out.

Uwharrie is pretty deperessing now that they graded Daniel. First ledge is almost completely gone, and there is absolutely no second ledge. Upper rock garden at Daniel is still a blast, but if you really enjoyed the ledges this will be a big kick in the pants.

That's really sad to hear...

Hey im looking to see if anyone is going to the Uwharre some weekend soon. Looking for someone who is familiar with the place. no set plan but if people chime in we can get something going.

I'm game. I'm about 2 hours and any Saturday that I don't have stuff to do I can come up. What are the spec's on your jeep?

There is a ride at the Flats this weekend you guys should check out.

the Flats is tinny, what 80 acres? I watched an ECORS race there once decided it was a little far for me to tow for the limited area. Do you even know what this guy wheels? Not all of the people are built like you.

That's really sad to hear...

Not really. I guarantee you that when wet you will even be challenged in some spots. That first ledge is already getting eaten away. If those areas are not fixed the eviro Nazis will close it.

Not really. I guarantee you that when wet you will even be challenged in some spots. That first ledge is already getting eaten away. If those areas are not fixed the eviro Nazis will close it.

I understand why it has to be done it's just frustrating that the trails have to be the equivalent of a dirt road before the higher-ups are happy. It's BS, really.

I want the ledge to be what it's always been. The same ledge that killed my fuel pump... I liked that ledge. It was fun.

I understand why it has to be done it's just frustrating that the trails have to be the equivalent of a dirt road before the higher-ups are happy. It's BS, really.

I want the ledge to be what it's always been. The same ledge that killed my fuel pump... I liked that ledge. It was fun.

No Kodak was fun.... :kissyou: :loveu: :laugh: :rof:

Kodak was fun too... but now it's gone. Between those two trails being dumbed down I really don't have much motivation to drive 2 hours to the park.

Granted, I know that's not the attitude to have for the park to stay open but it's frustrating~!

You can't say what it's always been. In 2004 it was a dirt road with a little bump. It got stupid when big engines and big tires tore it up.

the Flats is tinny, what 80 acres? I watched an ECORS race there once decided it was a little far for me to tow for the limited area. Do you even know what this guy wheels? Not all of the people are built like you.

Gulches is only about 80 acres too... Its for a great cause and some of the most hardcore trails around... Very similar to Gulches, but a bit less muddy. Don't knock it til you try it.
http://www.nc4x4.com/forum/index.ph...for-life-spring-open-invite-marion-nc.148051/

I am also well aware not everyone is like me, but I see no harm in passing along the information. I didn't say "Don't go dude" I just said it wasn't as much fun for me because the ledges were a big let down, but that the upper rock garden was still a great time. I forgot some people don't like when others voice opinions.

I hate to assume... but based on his sig I guessed he had a 44 front and 8.8 rear swapped in, and was run 36-37 Hummer tires... Pretty solid rig?

I should also share... I drove my open diff 95 YJ, spring under, stock axles and some 20% tread bfgs... so I would say most people are "built like me"

I was there April 4-6, I saw you while I was there.... The first ledge is certainly going to dig back out eventually, the 2nd ledge is wearing much slower. I am well aware of the reason it was graded, and despite no longer participating in the volunteer effort for personal reasons I am not out of the loop.

Last edited:

I agree completely and that is why I wanted to pass the information along, no harm in going knowing about the ledges, but if you drove 2-4 hours to wheel and then saw the ledges, it might cause some frustration.

You can't say what it's always been. In 2004 it was a dirt road with a little bump. It got stupid when big engines and big tires tore it up.

Ha, in 2004 I was driving a 93 Ford Ranger on air-ride and big sub woofers in the back.

I'll re-phrase, "I want it to be the knarly ledge it's always been since I've been going out there."

Kodak was fun too... but now it's gone. Between those two trails being dumbed down I really don't have much motivation to drive 2 hours to the park.

Granted, I know that's not the attitude to have for the park to stay open but it's frustrating~!

Kodak will be back. I believe that. It will take a lot of work but it will be back. A lot of people are working to that goal.

Gulches is only about 80 acres too... Its for a great cause and some of the most hardcore trails around... Very similar to Gulches, but a bit less muddy. Don't knock it til you try it.
http://www.nc4x4.com/forum/index.ph...for-life-spring-open-invite-marion-nc.148051/

I am also well aware not everyone is like me, but I see no harm in passing along the information. I didn't say "Don't go dude" I just said it wasn't as much fun for me because the ledges were a big let down, but that the upper rock garden was still a great time. I forgot some people don't like when others voice opinions.

I hate to assume... but based on his sig I guessed he had a 44 front and 8.8 rear swapped in, and was run 36-37 Hummer tires... Pretty solid rig?

I should also share... I drove my open diff 95 YJ, spring under, stock axles and some 20% tread bfgs... so I would say most people are "built like me"

I was there April 4-6, I saw you while I was there.... The first ledge is certainly going to dig back out eventually, the 2nd ledge is wearing much slower. I am well aware of the reason it was graded, and despite no longer participating in the volunteer effort for personal reasons I am not out of the loop.

No one said anything about not voicing your opinion. I will eventually go to the Flats just like I will eventually go to Winrock. URE is the most economical option I have and the only large Forest we have left. I will continue to go there and support it while its still there. Have fun at the flats! OP keep checking the forums and keep us updated for when you are looking to go.

I have more fun at uwharrie driving around with people who've never wheeled before than I usually do wheeling by myself somewhere harder. At this point I know what the jeep will do with me in it, I go for the people and the fun.

I have more fun at uwharrie driving around with people who've never wheeled before than I usually do wheeling by myself somewhere harder. At this point I know what the jeep will do with me in it, I go for the people and the fun.

Right, I get that. I feel the same way. At this point when I go back to URE I'll be driving my smaller Jeep on 31's up there. It'll get me around just fine and I won't have to drag a trailer behind my truck. Not much point in making the effort to take the trail Jeep if the baby Jeep will do most everything there. PLus, the A/C works in the baby Jeep.

Well said. I cannot tell you how much fun it was to watch my son, 15 drive a stock open open jeep around all day.

I'd be up for a day trip. Need to do a shake down run before the Crawl and Uwharrie is only 45 minutes or so away from me.

Right, I get that. I feel the same way. At this point when I go back to URE I'll be driving my smaller Jeep on 31's up there. It'll get me around just fine and I won't have to drag a trailer behind my truck. Not much point in making the effort to take the trail Jeep if the baby Jeep will do most everything there. PLus, the A/C works in the baby Jeep.

URE is fun on 31's, you diffs just hit everything. You'd be surprised how tough the Dickey Bell hill climb got over the last year. When I went for the first time last year I cruised right up, didn't hardly spin a tire. By the end of the year, it took some spirited driving and a spotter for me to get up it

URE is fun on 31's, you diffs just hit everything. You'd be surprised how tough the Dickey Bell hill climb got over the last year. When I went for the first time last year I cruised right up, didn't hardly spin a tire. By the end of the year, it took some spirited driving and a spotter for me to get up it

Dicky Bell is where Glenn got the rocker on the Green Jeep. It's gotten pretty rough. I'd love to see it wet.

Dicky Bell is where Glenn got the rocker on the Green Jeep. It's gotten pretty rough. I'd love to see it wet.

I did it wet, tried the hard line up top, and due to miscommunication with my winch guy and a happy right foot, I almost flopped my Jeep. My right front was like 3 or 4 feet in the air

Back