• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UPS shipping gorillas and inbred Wal-Mart employees...

ChiXJeff said:
Fergie, your gripe is with UPS, and not Walmart. Yeah, I know. Walmart had your stuff. But they have no responsibility to you at all in this.

See, thats the kind of attitude that irritates me. The hell they dont have responsibility to me. Whoever was at the dock that signed for the radiator, made it Wal-Marts responsibility. We arent talking a pallet full of stuff, we are talking a dozen or so packages, and when one say CSF in big black letters on the side, and ISNT addressed to Wal-Mart, so I dont buy the "Too many packages" thing. If there were too many, they would never get stuff straight. What pisses me off the most is that the dumb b!tch manager could have gone back there and looked for my rad the first time without the PD.

As it was, they should have gotten it back on the next UPS truck when it delivered as a mistaken delivery. Under no circumstances should they undertake to deliver that package, even if you show up there. The only proper course of action for them is to get it back to UPS.

Gotten it back on the next truck? WHy? I was right there and they can hand it over as I have proper ID. No one on the WM side is waiting for MY package, so no one will miss it. Just hand the funker over.

It is the whole " not my problem" mentallity that irked me. It was their problem, they could have solved it easily, but they had to be dicks about it. So I made it an even bigger problem for them until they paid attention. So, I am glad we disagree and all, but you are just as wrong as WM and UPS in this case.

Fergie

Fergie said:
See, thats the kind of attitude that irritates me. The hell they dont have responsibility to me. Whoever was at the dock that signed for the radiator, made it Wal-Marts responsibility. We arent talking a pallet full of stuff, we are talking a dozen or so packages, and when one say CSF in big black letters on the side, and ISNT addressed to Wal-Mart, so I dont buy the "Too many packages" thing. If there were too many, they would never get stuff straight. What pisses me off the most is that the dumb b!tch manager could have gone back there and looked for my rad the first time without the PD.

Gotten it back on the next truck? WHy? I was right there and they can hand it over as I have proper ID. No one on the WM side is waiting for MY package, so no one will miss it. Just hand the funker over.

It is the whole " not my problem" mentallity that irked me. It was their problem, they could have solved it easily, but they had to be dicks about it. So I made it an even bigger problem for them until they paid attention. So, I am glad we disagree and all, but you are just as wrong as WM and UPS in this case.

Fergie

Fergie, If there had been damage to the radiator, and Wal-mart handed it over to you, who would you go after? Wal*Mart or UPS?

Wal*Mart would say we didn't do it. UPS would say they weren't responsible, they had a signed for delivery. Wal*Mart protected you by NOT giving it to you. By not giving you the radiator they kept the chain of delivery(ups term) intact. They made a possible claim on your part alot eaiser.

DrMoab said:
Man and I went to the local Sportsmans Warehouse...took an hour class. sent in some paper work and a couple of pictures of my ugly mug and five weeks later I get a card in the mail that says I can carry a gun,fully loaded under my clothes almost anywhere I want in the state....I love Utah :farmer:

I just wish you wear more clothes when you wear your sidearm.......it's not really concealed when you're sporting those tight metallic boyshorts and a tube top.........

w_howey said:
Fergie, If there had been damage to the radiator, and Wal-mart handed it over to you, who would you go after? Wal*Mart or UPS?

Wal*Mart would say we didn't do it. UPS would say they weren't responsible, they had a signed for delivery. Wal*Mart protected you by NOT giving it to you. By not giving you the radiator they kept the chain of delivery(ups term) intact. They made a possible claim on your part alot eaiser.

I would have gone after both of them. There is already going to be a claim to UPS for the first radiator. I already have meetings set-up to speak with the UPS center manager, and the Wal-Mart GM.

The fact is that people did not want to take any responsibilty for their actions. There should have been a UPS worker down at Wal-Mart with me to retrieve the package. The WM manager should have been more forthcoming, but she chose not to.

UPS has the responsibility of delivery the correct packages ot the correct places. WM has the responsibility of checking to ensure the packages that are being delivered belong to them. If they dont take the responsibility to check their packages, then they become responsible for the packages that come into their possession. Both groups are responsible for their funk up, and I did what was needed to get my stuff.

I dont give a funk anymore about this conversation. It was meant as a rant, and I said what I wanted to, so y'all can keep talking, but I'll be elsewhere.

Fergie

Fergie said:
I would have gone after both of them. There is already going to be a claim to UPS for the first radiator. I already have meetings set-up to speak with the UPS center manager, and the Wal-Mart GM.
just when you get done with them make sure that there is going to be still a company that delivers my jeep toys too me relatively cheap :D and that there is still a place for some cheap one time use stuff :D

dogtired said:
As an EX-(insert infamous international package delivery company here) sorter/unloader monkey (not quite a Gorilla- supes), I feel for ya, you can blame on the supes they almost all sucked. You wanna know why most of the packages get banged up? WE have to sort\load\unload as fast as possible, while the supes yell at us constantly to get the number of packages up at a certain amount of time. So, needless to say, your packages will get ripped, trampled, banged up, basically it gets throwned around all over the place.

I've had similar experiences with UPS... unfortunately, this is the truth about the working conditions in these places. I recently toured a major Walmart distribution center in Porterville, California... and witnessed the same as described above. As much as you would like to believe technology has displaced hard labor ... think again.

Try loading several 18-wheelers nonstop...

Walmart pays their employees cash for not having any injuries...

The employees only get the payout if they have ZERO reported injuries for the month...

Talk about peer pressure.

bchulett said:
I've had similar experiences with UPS... unfortunately, this is the truth about the working conditions in these places. I recently toured a major Walmart distribution center in Porterville, California... and witnessed the same as described above. As much as you would like to believe technology has displaced hard labor ... think again.

Try loading several 18-wheelers nonstop...

Walmart pays their employees cash for not having any injuries...

The employees only get the payout if they have ZERO reported injuries for the month...

Talk about peer pressure.

Paying cash for no accidents wasn't invented at Wal*Mart, is a standard practice in the warehouse industry.

The company I work for actually gives a Wal*Mart gift card for no accidents.

Try pulling skid after skid of frozen foods all day, or any other warehouse job. It really isn't as boring as the description comes across. There are a ton of things to keep your mind on.

I have visted several large warehouse ops around the country and they are the same. I was in Fontana,CA last fall And not only do all the buildings look alike on the outside, you can close your eyes and wander the inside of them and not walk into anything.

w_howey said:
Paying cash for no accidents wasn't invented at Wal*Mart, is a standard practice in the warehouse industry.

The company I work for actually gives a Wal*Mart gift card for no accidents.

Try pulling skid after skid of frozen foods all day, or any other warehouse job. It really isn't as boring as the description comes across. There are a ton of things to keep your mind on.

I have visted several large warehouse ops around the country and they are the same. I was in Fontana,CA last fall And not only do all the buildings look alike on the outside, you can close your eyes and wander the inside of them and not walk into anything.

I'm not sure what's implied in your comment ... I don't recall saying they invented such a program. The fact is this applies pressure to new unsuspecting employees. And when employees really do get injured, more pressure is applied through peers NOT to report an injury due to month-end goals and cash payouts.

My employees work with heavy machinery that can take your arm off in a split second. I wouldn't offer cash to get the message across their health and wellbeing comes first ... it's part of the responsibility. More appropriately, we engage in continuous improvement, safe-work practices and ergonomics which leads to increased morale, quality and productivity---a more respectable ROI.

And yes, in a mundane job or even the most skilled and exciting job where your mind wanders or task blindness is present ... that's when serious injuries can occur.

No offense to you or your employer .. but offering Wall-Mart gift cards in trade for safety is not an incentive in my book. At least allow the employees to choose where they want to shop.

In addition, using new upcoming distribution centers as an example to articulate the "state of the industry" is not a fair assessment. For every new modern building or hub there are hundreds of old buildings that were never meant to be DC's---including frozen foods. I've been in them also.

Take care.

bchulett said:
I'm not sure what's implied in your comment ... I don't recall saying they invented such a program. The fact is this applies pressure to new unsuspecting employees. And when employees really do get injured, more pressure is applied through peers NOT to report an injury due to month-end goals and cash payouts.

My employees work with heavy machinery that can take your arm off in a split second. I wouldn't offer cash to get the message across their health and wellbeing comes first ... it's part of the responsibility. More appropriately, we engage in continuous improvement, safe-work practices and ergonomics which leads to increased morale, quality and productivity---a more respectable ROI.

And yes, in a mundane job or even the most skilled and exciting job where your mind wanders or task blindness is present ... that's when serious injuries can occur.

No offense to you or your employer .. but offering Wall-Mart gift cards in trade for safety is not an incentive in my book. At least allow the employees to choose where they want to shop.

In addition, using new upcoming distribution centers as an example to articulate the "state of the industry" is not a fair assessment. For every new modern building or hub there are hundreds of old buildings that were never meant to be DC's---including frozen foods. I've been in them also.

Take care.

I think I misarticulated the point I was trying to make. This type of thing is very common in the warehouse industry.

The Wally World gift cards are a way to avoid paying income taxes on the incentive payments.(Illinois tax codes would require us to take income taxes from the bonus payments)

Your correct, peer pressure is a factor in these plans. Whoever was responsible for this type of system certainly had intended that.

Offering a bonus for safe days worked, or no reported accidents does not relieve anyone from the responsibilty of a safe work enviorment. It is merely inteded as extra for the employees who do work safely.

You say your employees work with heavy machinery. I'm going to guess that your staff is experienced, and highly trained, and fairly compensated as such.

For a good portion of the warehouse industry it simply isn't that way. Under-skilled, under-payed employees, many are transient-type employees doing a job for a company and they may not even know what they are moving. Alot of 'rental' type employees, with questionable skills, and a extremely low motivational level. Line supervisors who were promoted last week, given a clip board and sent on their way. This doesn't create an enviroment of people minding safety for the sake of safety. You have to prod them somehow.

Some of the places I have visited, I have seen extra vacation days, free lunches, drawings for prizes, safety games, awards, and other assorted things like that.

Would it be absolutley fantastic if all employees everywhere worked as safely and as efficently as possible, just because they can? Yes, is it going to happen? No.

w_howey said:
You say your employees work with heavy machinery. I'm going to guess that your staff is experienced, and highly trained, and fairly compensated as such.

For a good portion of the warehouse industry it simply isn't that way. Under-skilled, under-payed employees, many are transient-type employees doing a job for a company and they may not even know what they are moving. Alot of 'rental' type employees, with questionable skills, and a extremely low motivational level.

You make a good point here ... our employees are experienced in their trade and are well compensated. I guess I was shocked when I toured Wal-Mart since they're the experts in DC automation... they do have advanced systems but I couldn't believe the shear volume of products and using hand labor to load 40 ft. trailers. I kinda expected substandard systems and methods at Carl Karcher Enterprises when I toured their frozen food DC.

It's a different world from what I'm generally exposed to ... my company sold Wal-Mart the land in Porterville several years ago... their 1 million sq. ft. DC warehouse is right behind our PCB plant. We have a waiting line of WM employees at the door seeking employment ... they don't have the best reputation in that small town. On a brighter note they're the largest employer now so they can offer farm workers better pay with some benefits.

I guess we should feel fortunate.

Back