• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upper control arm mounts for trussed D30

Yep, 86 xj, I pulled the knuckles off of a WJ. (that axle isnt from a wj). I mocked up the knuckles for the picture. I'm going to get the JKS spacer and the 99+ TJ Unit bearings, Also Wj ball joints, And JKS OTA track bar mount. Then I'll fab up my steering from DOM and inserts with Offset TREs.

The unit bearings and axles that are on the axle are scrap for now, or spares.

eventually I will do either Alloy axles or maybe the 30 spline kit. with an ARB with 4:88s

baby steps for now.....

JKS axle track bar mount IMHO is too low for WJ OTK. It puts the upper hole at around 4.5" above the axle center line. Consider the clayton track bar bracket, or wait a couple weeks and artec should have a bracket out. Also look at the Clayton sway bar link brackets which mount to the knuckles. After you get all the stuff done on a WJ conversion it's pretty busy on the passenger side.

TnT offers 2 different OTA brackets. One for your "typical" OTA and a crossover bracket that has 2 sets of holes, and is taller.

2efnp21.jpg
here's my ballistic fab trussed 30, I fade the upper pass side mount with 3/16 plate, cut the outter side of the mounth flush amd ran the truss across the front flush all the way across, worked out perfect.

JKS axle track bar mount IMHO is too low for WJ OTK. It puts the upper hole at around 4.5" above the axle center line. Consider the clayton track bar bracket, or wait a couple weeks and artec should have a bracket out. Also look at the Clayton sway bar link brackets which mount to the knuckles. After you get all the stuff done on a WJ conversion it's pretty busy on the passenger side.

I'm going to go out and take some measurements tomorrow and see where everything will be. I haven't sorted out what track bar to run yet but I've seen others use the JKS with the WJ and it seems to work ok. If what you say is correct maybe I will try running a different mount.

Ive looked at TNTs mount, which one would be better for Wj steering? also it looks like it might be tricky to get that mount to work with a truss.

here's my ballistic fab trussed 30, I fade the upper pass side mount with 3/16 plate, cut the outter side of the mounth flush amd ran the truss across the front flush all the way across, worked out perfect.

that turned out good, if you were to do it again would you do anything different?

I'm using a jks ota bracket with my wj swap and my trackbar and draglink are perfectly parallel and I have no issues at all.

I'm going to go out and take some measurements tomorrow and see where everything will be. I haven't sorted out what track bar to run yet but I've seen others use the JKS with the WJ and it seems to work ok. If what you say is correct maybe I will try running a different mount.

Ive looked at TNTs mount, which one would be better for Wj steering? also it looks like it might be tricky to get that mount to work with a truss.
The crossover one, as it is taller and has more mounting points.
I'm using a jks ota bracket with my wj swap and my trackbar and draglink are perfectly parallel and I have no issues at all.

Are you using TRE's or heims? Mounting knuckles side on top or bottom?

off set tie rod ends everywhere except at the pitman arm. it would be nearly impossible not to run them on the draglink at the knuckle because of the clearance between the knuckle and the OTA bracket

that turned out good, if you were to do it again would you do anything different?

The ONLY thing I would do differently is custom lca mounts that sit flush with the bottom of the axle tube. the one thing I didn't mention is I also plated the factory trackbar brack as well to add some strength .

Last edited:
You have a 1991+ D30 there. Ideally, placing the axle trackbar bracket at the inner C provides for the best matching of TB to draglink length, but requires coil mount relocation.

Last edited:
You have a 1991+ D30 there. Ideally, placing the axle trackbar bracket at the inner C provides for the best matching of TB to draglink length, but requires coil mount relocation.

Was that for me?

I've ordered my long arm from TNT, so now I'll start ordering stuff for the D30. Artecs truss is looking like the way to go for me after some more research. I'm trying to decide weather I should completely strip the axle of everything including the coil buckets, then rotate the Cs then put everything back on. But that's for another topic discussion. :guitar::guitar:

Was that for me?

I've ordered my long arm from TNT, so now I'll start ordering stuff for the D30. Artecs truss is looking like the way to go for me after some more research. I'm trying to decide weather I should completely strip the axle of everything including the coil buckets, then rotate the Cs then put everything back on. But that's for another topic discussion. :guitar::guitar:

Operation D30 Knuckle Rotation- much easier with the housing out of the rig. Do it!

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=913774&page=10

Ideally, the trackbar and draglink should be same lenght, but more importantly, they should operate on the same plane. Unless the coil buckets are shifted rearward on the housing, it's tough to find a place for the trackbar bracket that provides the ideal length and plane for the trackbar. Goatman's Comp rig has the slickest setup I've seen for this on an XJ, with the trackbar mount attached to the inner C.

Keep in mind, these are suggestions for best practices, not requirements. The vast majority of lift XJ's running OTK WJ steering are doing just fine without relocating the coil buckets, running exact length trackbar/draglinks or fabbing of custom inner C trackbar mounts. :)

Having looked at a lot of this myself, I'm getting ready to strip a D30 of all brackets, add a truss, rotate knuckles, move the coil buckets back to make room for the trackbar to run to the inner C, guesset the rest of the inner C, and add all new control arm and shock mounts. I already have WJ stuff on an otherwise stock axle so I'll just have to rebuild the trackbar when I'm ready to swap in the new one.

FWIW, I'm looking at a combination of parts from Artec, Clayton, and TNT. All make nice stuff, just a matter of finding the pieces you like the most.

I'll have to check that out. I've been pondering about doing new coil buckets with the ballistic fab coil buckets. Comes with a shock mount, and HD LCA and the option to move the coil back over the axle.

Operation D30 Knuckle Rotation- much easier with the housing out of the rig. Do it!

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=913774&page=10

Hey Jeff, is there a general rule to the pinion angle for certain lifts? I'm sitting lower than what you're at, but I haven't decided if I want to go higher, so I'm not sure where my pinion angle will be. Is 10* good for 5-6.5ish lifts. I'm going to do the inner C rotation and want to set it up right.

Back