• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading Chrysler 8.25

I am lost. I want to put Detroit Truetrac into Chrysler 8 1/4. The axle shafts are 27 splines.

According to the parts list, the switch from 27 splines to 29 occured in 1996.
Here is the list of the parts which are different between 95 and 96:
differential case
differential gears
drive shaft(s)
carrier with tubes

With installation of the Detroit Truetrac I am replacing the first two.
Do I understand it correctly that since I am replacing the diff case the only other thing I need is to replace the axle shafts ?
Has anything to be done with the carrier (differential housing and tubes) ?
If something to be done, how much it might cost ?

Yes since your True tac is a full case LSD you will need the 29 spline True Trac and some 29 spline shafts and thats it.

LBEXJ said:
My "Final Goal" is to be able to experience trails like Tellico, Paragon, Moab, and even maybe the 'Con without having to use all the bypasses. I want to be able to drive there and back. I'd like to be able to run 35's on the trail.

That right there says you do not really want to go 29 spline 8.25. You can run 35's on it, but you have to be really light on the throttle and carry a spare shaft, which, since its a c-clip, you have to change before you move when you break it. If you add a no-slip, the process of changing a shaft becomes long and involved, since you have to disassemble most of the no-slip to pull the c-clip out. If you stay on 33's, the 29 spline 8.25 will probably be sufficiant for you. I ran the rubicon on one with 32's and beat the hell out of it without a problem. The 8.25 has a large lip at the bottom than hangs up on the rocks.

The 44 is a good option, it will hold up to 35's stock and take alot of abuse with 35's and alloy shafts. Its non c-clip so if you bust a shaft, you can probably be strapped to flat ground to fix it. the 44 is a VERY common upgrade so parts are easy to come by. The pumpkin doesnt have the lip the 8.25 does, so it doesnt hang up as much.

The 8.8 comes with thick 31 spline axles and disc brakes, and is a strong setup. You need to have the tubes welded to the diff housing or they can twist under torque and really make for a bad trip off the trail, or break leaf springs. The diff itself is HUGE and even on 35's you will drag it over every rock out there. If you upgrade to a currie hp9" later, you can carry your locker over which is nice. The axle is a tad narrower than the 44/8.25, so if you plan on running wide tires with only 4.5" offset you may rub a little, but its not a big deal.

Ford 9", Currie 9", etc. Well. By the time your considering a 9" in the rear, you probably should not be asking these questions anymore.

I currently run the 29 spline 8.25. I have shiny new 35's sitting in my garage waiting for the dana 44 I acquired to be ready to go in, cuz I know i'm gonna destroy that 8.25 with them.

-C

kscherokee said:
newbie ?, if I have a 98 xj, what spline and gears do I have?

manual or auto?
engine?

search?

im going to guess you have 3.55's because MOST XJ's came with the 4.0 and the auto = 3.55's

kscherokee said:
newbie ?, if I have a 98 xj, what spline and gears do I have?

That depends if you have a Dana 35 or a Chrysler 8.25.. and as ranger said, what engine and gears you have. Do you have ABS?

Originally Posted by spencer411
ive got an 01 auto with Chrysler 8.25. I know its 3.55 but no idea what spline...

any help on that?

cal said:
29 spline.

thanks

now if I wanted to go to disks in the rear, would I be better off goin with the 8.8 or modding the 8.25? my jeep will see light to moderatly heavy wheeling. not sure if Ill ever make it to the big spots. but im def keeping it FOREVER.

ive got sooooo many hobbies.

kscherokee said:
I have 98 auto, 8.25 axle, any idea what transfer case also? And it came with abs, but been disabled

It was my understanding although it could be wrong, that all ABS cherokee's came with the dana 35, not the 8.25

Do you have full time four wheel drive or no?

spencer411 said:
now if I wanted to go to disks in the rear, would I be better off goin with the 8.8 or modding the 8.25? my jeep will see light to moderatly heavy wheeling. not sure if Ill ever make it to the big spots. but im def keeping it FOREVER.

If you dont plan on going bigger than 33's in the future, you can pickup some ZJ rear disc brakes for about $200 in most junkyards and its not a difficult mod.. search and you will find a writeup on it.

If you plan on going 35+, I'd go 8.8 or dana 44.

But thats my opinion, I'm sure not everyone would agree.

-C

jeepme said:
Yes since your True tac is a full case LSD you will need the 29 spline True Trac and some 29 spline shafts and thats it.
Thanks, I am off to the shop.

So I have to say I love my 8.25. I have been rough with it on 33-34s for almost a year and haven't had a problem. I'm doing 4.56s and thirty fives or sevens this year and plan to use it still.

My 8.25 had a no-slip and 4.56's for years on 32's no problem. A year or so on 35's, no problem. Put on disc brakes and Yukon axles. No problems for a while. Broke a few teeth off the ring gear after 5 years, but I didn't even know it until i pulled the cover. New gearset and all was well.

I'd just stick with the 8.25. Mods depend on your wallet. Auto-locker is a no brainer though. If you're going to do anything that makes you pull the shafts, like gears or disc brakes, get some Yukon axles just to be safe, they are like $100 each.

Back