• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UOA report shows ABNORMAL (Need help finding diagnses)

good to hear. Where in montana were you? My brother lives in Bozeman

We were on the Cheyenne Reservation between Billings, MT and Sheridan, WY. Montana is pretty nice, but the winters are too long for me. We live at 7,000 feet here in NM, but the weather isn't near as severe.

Personally I would flush the radiator and fill with distilled water and antifreeze. Many local water supplies have high salt and potassium levels.

You have to be careful on oil assay. They tend to use limits that are for desiel trucks which have a different additive mix. I would do a oil and filter swap as well, then drive a thousand miles and check again.

If you aren't showing any hydrocarbons in the radiator, I would not pull the head.

Personally I would flush the radiator and fill with distilled water and antifreeze. Many local water supplies have high salt and potassium levels.

You have to be careful on oil assay. They tend to use limits that are for desiel trucks which have a different additive mix. I would do a oil and filter swap as well, then drive a thousand miles and check again.

If you aren't showing any hydrocarbons in the radiator, I would not pull the head.

The radiator has been flushed. I’m not too worried about it. Hopefully this engine will holdup a little longer until I’m ready for a new one. I’m going to use the XJ to drive back and forth to work, so we’ll see what happens. :woohoo:

Sometimes you get the foreign materials from other sources. Like said above the water supply could be harsh and if you washed the engine a lot you could have gotten water into it. I had a UOA show high coolant and dirt readings for my old Cadillac and it turned out to be a crack in the throttle body was sucking outside junk through.

Sometimes you get the foreign materials from other sources. Like said above the water supply could be harsh and if you washed the engine a lot you could have gotten water into it. I had a UOA show high coolant and dirt readings for my old Cadillac and it turned out to be a crack in the throttle body was sucking outside junk through.

Yea, I think the next UOA will be interesting, and perhaps give me a better idea of what is actually going on.

Any updates? I remember using a butyl cellosolve product years ago when oil and coolant got to mixing.

http://books.google.com/books?id=x5..."butyl cellosolve" engine oil coolant&f=false

Thanks for the link.....

When we moved, my wife drove the XJ 1,000 miles one way from Montana to New Mexico with no problems. The XJ has been down the past month due to a lift kit installation. I decided that I’m not going to worry about it. I can get a remanufactured engine fairly cheap when that time comes.

I got my report back. My coolant problem has been greatly reduced, but now I have a major fuel leak.:skull2:

Unit Mileage: 174,257
Lubricant Mileage: 2,358
Lubricant: Amsoil XLT SAE Synthetic 10W30

OVERALL SEVERITY OF REPORT: (Critical)

Check for source of FUEL LEAK (injectors, lines, etc.). Fuel is at a SIGNIFICANT LEVEL; Lubricant and filter change is suggested if not done at sampling time; FUEL DILUTION has caused viscosity to decrease SEVERELY; MODERATE POTASSIUM level could be a coolant indicator; Coolant leaks at this level will most likely not be detectable through normal diagnostics; Suggest MONITORING COOLANT LEVEL closely between samples; Magnesium is slightly high for this lubricant; Please provide until model number so we can compare data to the proper standards for this unit; Resample at half intervals.

CONTAMINANT METALS:
Sodium: 14 PPM (NORMAL)
Potassium: 45 PPM (Low end of ABNORMAL)

MULTI-SOURCE METALS:
Molybdenum: 36 PPM (NORMAL)
Manganese: 6 PPM (NORMAL)
Boron: 198 PPM (NORMAL)

ADDITIVE METALS:
Magnesium: 92 PPM (Low end of ABNORMAL)
Zinc: 757 PPM (NORMAL)

Fuel: 3.6% (High end of ABNORMAL)
Viscosity 9.0 (Critical)