• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil guys: Some analysis results...

98JeepXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I FINALLY got around to sending in the samples from the oil change I did clear back in October :rolleyes: and the one I just did a few weeks ago. And...it looks like I have to do a head gasket pretty soon. :swear:

Blackstone and I have been watching my sodium and potassium numbers ever since I started sending in samples last spring, since the numbers were higher than normal. Since sodium and potassium are a sign of antifreeze in the oil, they bear close watching. The sodium and potassium numbers had been staying steady through the first few reports I got. Well, on the sample I took in October, the sodium and potassium content skyrocketed; this was partially due to the longer than normal change interval (6k vs. 5k) that I ran for that change that allowed more antifreeze to contaminate that oil.(I ran a longer change interval due to the fact that I was doing a significant amount of highway driving, and felt the oil could go longer) It also is a was a sign that the leak is getting worse.

On the sample that I took a few weeks ago, I actually ended up running a slightly shorter change interval than normal. This was due to the fact that it had seen some extensive idling, and again I felt it was due for a change. For this sample, the sodium and potassium numbers came back down quite a bit, but were still much above normal.

The October report:

Make: Jeep
Model: 4.0L Inline 6 cyl.
Fuel type: Gasoline
Oil use interval: 6,123 miles
Oil type and grade: Mobil1 15W50
Make-up oil added: 0.5 qt.

CHAD: We don't have any problem with the miles you ran on the oil, but we are concerned about the higher potassium and sodium, which point to antifreeze in the oil at about 0.64%. We have been seeing the sodium right along, but now we can confirm the problem. At this level, the antifreeze will destroy your bearings, and you can see the lead increase. Bearings are the only source for lead in this type of engine. You need to get your cooling system pressure checked. If you continue to operate this engine as is, you will lose it.

Element: My#/Universal average #
Aluminum: 2/4
Chromium: 1/1
Iron: 27/28
Copper: 4/5
Lead: 12/2
Tin: 0/1
Molybdenum: 61/35
Nickel: 1/1
Manganese: 0/1
Silver: 0/0
Titanium: 0/0
Potassium: 11/2
Boron: 42/42
Silicon: 17/12
Sodium: 321/8
Calcium: 2098/2022
Magnesium: 13/260
Phosphorus: 635/767
Zinc: 645/929
Barium: 0/0

Oil Properties
Property: Values should be/values tested were
Viscosity: 78-95/62.3
Flashpoint: >380/375
Fuel%: <1.0/<0.5
Antifreeze%: 0/0.64
Water%: 0/0
Insolubles%: <0.6/0.5

January report:

Make: Jeep
Model: 4.0L Inline 6 cyl.
Fuel type: Gasoline
Oil use interval: 4,711
Oil type and grade: Mobil1 10W30
Make up oil added: 0 qt.

CHAD: The shorter oil use interval has lessened the problem of the contaminant in the oil, though the problem still exists. Normal lead (bearings) for this sample would be 2ppm. Your lead read at 4 times that. The contamination level this time was 0.19%. You probably have a minor cooant seep at the head gasket. It would not be that difficult to fix it, or expensive to have it fixed. If you need to drive this one as is, suggest using 3,000 mile oil use intervals and sample the oil at each change. We can tell you if the bearings are really getting into trouble.

Element: My#/Universal average #
Aluminum: 2/4
Chromium: 1/1
Iron: 13/28
Copper: 3/5
Lead: 8/2
Tin: 0/1
Molybdenum: 57/35
Nickel: 1/1
Manganese: 0/1
Silver: 0/0
Titanium: 0/0
Potassium: 6/2
Boron: 62/42
Silicon: 13/12
Sodium: 95/8
Calcium: 2002/2022
Magnesium: 10/260
Phosphorus: 782/767
Zinc: 848/929
Barium: 0/0

Oil Properties
Property: Values should be/values tested were
Viscosity: 59-68/89.1
Flashpoint: >365/410
Fuel%: <1.0/<0.5
Antifreeze%: 0/0.19
Water%: 0/0
Insolubles%: <0.6/0.4

Any thoughts, questions....

Chad

A bit more info on the testing, who, where and how much ? Procedure ?

Blackstone Laboratories, they're in Ft. Wayne IN. Go to their website and order a free test kit. When you change your oil, take a sample, fill out the card with your vehicle info and send it to them with a check or MO for $20.00. They'll send you a report like I have above and tell you what's going on inside your engine, and if there are any problems developing. Their website will tell you a good bit more than I can.

www.blackstone-labs.com

IMO, it's well worth the 20 bucks if you plan on keeping your engine/vehicle for a long time. If it weren't for these analyses, I'd have no idea that I was getting antifreeze in my oil until it was way too late. It's also good for determining how your oil change intervals are working for your engine, like if you could go a little longer between changes and stuff like that.

-Chad

It really seems like you have the oil used switched. The 15w-50 is showing a 30 weight viscosity, and the 30 weight is showing a 50 weight viscosity. The iron and lead wear seem to agree that the viscosities may be switched. From blackstone for an extra $10 you can get TBN which will tell you much more accurately if your oil is ready to be changed or not.

Mobil 1 10w-30 at 10cSt is way too thin for this engine IMHO. This oil tends to show high iron in this engine. This winter I am running Castrol 0w-30 at 12.1 cSt and this summer I am going to run Mobil 1 T&SUV 5w-40 at 14.8 cSt. Next winter I may run some Esso XD-3 Extra 0w-40 if I can find some next time I'm in Canada.

Here is a run I did last summer using Amsoil's new 5w-40 AFL at 14.5 cSt...

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002157

Do you post on BITOG? I would post this UOA on BITOG and see what they think.

I was somewhat suspicious of the viscosity numbers too. I didn't say anything in my original post because I wanted to see if anybody else noticed those. I thought it may have been something to do with antifreeze contamination, or the usage interval of each. I'm almost positive that I put the info. cards with the correct samples. I wonder if it's possible that the samples got mixed up at the lab. If that were the case that they were switched, then my more recent sample with the shorter use interval, is showing higher antifreeze contamination. I guess this would mean that the leak is getting worse. It's not a problem though, I've already made plans to change it next week...

-Chad

Back