• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UNR Students?

connor0770

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody one here go to the University of Nevada Reno? i will most llikely be going there next year, and wanted to see if there are any fellow XJ'ers i can meet up with. I also got a question for you guys. Im looking into a t-case skid plate right now. Rusty's has a engine/tcase skid, but it makes me choose if i have a LA setup or SA. well right now i have a SA set-up, but in the future i want to get a LA. Will i have to buy a whole new skid plate. thanks for your help:wave1:

I live in the bay area but my dad lives in sparks so I go there pretty often. There are tons of cool areas just north 20 minutes that I go wheeling at. There are so many wash outs and rocky areas from all the rain and snow you can find tons of little spots to wheel and go check out.

My girl go's to UNR, She love that place. Reno is a great place to live, work & go to school. Lots of places to go wheeling in Reno. Also try a Reno4x4.com.

Im going to bump this back up. Im also looking into heading to UNR to finish my last two years of school there. There is great wheeling and ski resorts out there so that partially sways my decision but its primarily for school, those 2 factors are just bonuses. Anyone else have first hand experience at UNR? Any positives, negatives or other facts on the city of Reno itself that someone seriously considering moving across the country should know? What kind of part time job opportunities are out there for students while in school?

Im planning a trip out to visit sometime, anything else I should check out while Im out there?

I love it here, born and raised. Reno is interesting as a city, but offers so much for the outdoors types that you can never run out of things to do. UNR offers student jobs on campus if that is what your looking for.

Basically go to tahoe and I bet you'll be sold ;)

Basically go to tahoe and I bet you'll be sold ;)

Im almost sold w/o even visiting.

My previous school was a party school and a lot of the kids didnt have school/grades as their priority. Now Im sure at any school a party can be found any night of the week but Im not looking to go to a wild party school again. Is UNR a pretty calm school in that regard?

Thanks for the reply:cheers:

My previous school was a party school and a lot of the kids didnt have school/grades as their priority. Now Im sure at any school a party can be found any night of the week but Im not looking to go to a wild party school again. Is UNR a pretty calm school in that regard?

Depends, I was big on it for awhile but it really gets to the point in which you have to want to be partying all the time to do it. I can be pretty calm most of the time. As you know the dorms can be pretty up all the timeish but all of them are.

I am currently living in the doorms. The only reason i like the dorms is because i get to meet some really nice people. Other than that, THEY SUCK!! the food is disgusting and extremely overpriced, they are very noisy, and the rules here are ridiculous. Dont forget the girls down the hall that come home drunk on the weekends and bang on your door!!! Now im assuming that if you moved up here you would get a house/apartment. Best part about Reno is how cheap it is! I can get a 2 bedroom apartment for 300 bucks a month easy (if i share it with somebody). The party scene is alright up here, im not much of a huge partier myself, kinda gets old in my opinion. So far i like UNR. I have met a lot of great people including SpenceXJ^^^^^^. I would take a trip up here and come check it out. I was sold my first time up here!!

If you have any questions about UNR or Reno ask Spencer or I, we would be glad to help you out!

P.S. We have lots of WHeeling and are only an hour from the Con!!!

Edit: just saw your previous post. I noticed you mentioned you like to ski/board. To be completely honest with you, that was the deciding factor for me to come here. I love the snow and try to get up at least 30-40 times a year. The snow here is great and we have lots of ski resorts. If you like Park we have multiple resorts only 40 minutes max from campus with professional parks. If you like back country we have Heavenly and Squaw, Both great resorts with some of the best back country i have ever been in!!

I also noticed your comment on Jobs in Reno. There is an online program run through the school that posts Job listings for currently enrolled UNR students. I have been trying to get a job here on Campus but there havent been any openings. If you are willing to work off campus then im sure you should be able to find a job pretty quick. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Thanks guys, these responses have given me some great information on UNR. There are plenty of online reviews but the reviews from students of a similar age group and background are what really helps paint the picture.

To be completely honest, Im huge into snowboarding, mainly park but I love it all. I wanted to head out west when I was a freshmen but my parents wouldnt allow me to go so far, now I have the opportunity so I might as well take it.

Im definitely going to apply and visit sometime this spring. How are admissions there? I have pretty good grades from my previous school so I think Id be alright.

Thanks again guys!

Glad to hear it helped. Since you like park your coming to a great place!
If you have good grades, you should be guaranteed to get in! Admissions for me are rather cheap because i am on a scholarship plus i have a "neighboring state" scholarship discount thing. To be honest, its a pretty cheap school (especially if you dont live in the dorms). I can get a number on admissions tomorrow if i have time. Before you move out here i would recomend you come get a tour of the campus and what not to make sure you like it. Maybe hit up the slopes while your out here.

I go to reno maybe 5-10 times a year to party, see a concert and wheel. I love wheeling in the desert so hence the attraction. Your real close to mt rose but that place is a tease. Especially when the wind pics up you can see the snow just blowing off the mountain into washoe valley, north shore tahoe is nice for families and such but i like the resorts and scene at south shore better aka heavenly and kirkwood which are arguably the best around. In that case your 1.5 hours away from that. Which is about the same distance to sacramento, and if i were to choose a city to live it it would most def be sac, (sac state?) Reno is a dirty lil desert rat town that i frankly would not ever want to live in. But i'm glad to see you peeps that live there are happy.

I visited sac state and I personally didn't like it there. The unr campus is not as dirty as the city and you could argue that sac state is dirtier than reno. Btw this Morning I woke up with a few inches of snow on the ground... That doesn't happen at sac state lol. Plus sac state is a lot farther from the resorts than unr. I have gotten outa class at 11 And have decided to go get a half day in. Like j said, come visit and see if you like it or not

oh so you did end up in reno then, ok... glad your happy out there. I love going to reno to have a good time and wheel the surrounding areas. Was just there this weekend, saw the Expendables at the knitting factory then wen't to brew brothers and saw 5 or six sexy ass girls get into a cat fight in the middle of the dance floor. Sunday stopped by great basin brewery then did some light wheeling then came home, good times...cept for the collar bone fracture and bruised ribs i got from snowboarding heavenly on saturday. Def won't be able to do any desert trips for a while but i'll still be crawlen around on the rocks.

Last edited:
Back