• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Unofficial" Who in NC/SC would be interested in a Carolina's Chapter

I'LL REUP MY MEMBERSHIP IF THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN.
I let my membership run out cause there was never anything happenig around here no wrenching , no dinners, no runs , etc . Joined NC4x4 instead.

sprinkler1228 said:
I'LL REUP MY MEMBERSHIP IF THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN.
I let my membership run out cause there was never anything happenig around here no wrenching , no dinners, no runs , etc . Joined NC4x4 instead.
One reason this has been slow is because the locals in your area are not active. I am always available to help out and have had wrenching get togethers at my shop. However, I'm in SC and most of you are not intrested in coming this way fro a meet and greet or cookout or even a wrench party. And FWIW I was in WS Sunday - Tuesday and only one guy from NC 4x4 showed up. There is a Meet and greet in atlanta coming up. I know I want be able to make it will any of you? Seems like most of you are new guys and have not been arround here very long. The first major problem will be that none of you can be on a BOD till after a year. Who are you going to have on the BOD? We will need a President, Vice-President, and Treasure. Maybe we need to have some Meet and Greets and give the SE some time. We are approaching winter closures for wheeling and there will be lots of us doing work. Maybe we can get a wrench party going or something. I'm up for anything to try but right now may not be the best time for a Carolina Chapter or a Mid-Atlantic Chapter. We may have the min requirements needed but I for one would rather plan this and then try to get it together in a year or so. Hell I'll host a cook-out wrench party. I have an acre arround the shop for camping and full shower and bathroom in the shop.

Were you doing the donation?
WS is pretty far from Raleigh just for a drink but I would have liked to meet ya.
Atlanta is pretty far also from Raleigh.

The problem is there are alot of people spread out which is why they have such a large chapter to begin with. Nothing saying ya'll can't get togther and do your own thing by just anouncing it though.

I guess

Ghost said:
One reason this has been slow is because the locals in your area are not active. I am always available to help out and have had wrenching get togethers at my shop. However, I'm in SC and most of you are not intrested in coming this way fro a meet and greet or cookout or even a wrench party. And FWIW I was in WS Sunday - Tuesday and only one guy from NC 4x4 showed up. There is a Meet and greet in atlanta coming up. I know I want be able to make it will any of you? Seems like most of you are new guys and have not been arround here very long. The first major problem will be that none of you can be on a BOD till after a year. Who are you going to have on the BOD? We will need a President, Vice-President, and Treasure. Maybe we need to have some Meet and Greets and give the SE some time. We are approaching winter closures for wheeling and there will be lots of us doing work. Maybe we can get a wrench party going or something. I'm up for anything to try but right now may not be the best time for a Carolina Chapter or a Mid-Atlantic Chapter. We may have the min requirements needed but I for one would rather plan this and then try to get it together in a year or so. Hell I'll host a cook-out wrench party. I have an acre arround the shop for camping and full shower and bathroom in the shop.

1. Zac
2. Chris
3. Shesassy
4.ncallstar321 (Geoff)
5. Jeepsloth (Mark)
6. DCin SC
7. ArchDuke
8. Ghost (Glenn)
9. 99XJSPORT06 (Tim)
10. waytofastforyou
11. Jonnyjpr
12. Gray_Penguin
13. Lowrange2
14. NCCherokee (Kenny)

New to the area. I'm from Asheville, was a member of the Clemson Offroad club in college, now I'm in med school at UNC, so I don't wheel much for the time being. Big reason for that has been lack of a local club.

I'm all for it, as long as I wind up keeping my XJ

1. Zac
2. Chris
3. Shesassy
4.ncallstar321 (Geoff)
5. Jeepsloth (Mark)
6. DCin SC
7. ArchDuke
8. Ghost (Glenn)
9. 99XJSPORT06 (Tim)
10. waytofastforyou
11. Jonnyjpr
12. Gray_Penguin
13. Lowrange2
14. NCCherokee (Kenny)
15. NC_Jeepin (Bruce)

Last edited:
Hell... keep it goin if there more... ain't gotta stop at 15..

NCjeepin said:
I'm all for it, as long as I wind up keeping my XJ

1. Zac
2. Chris
3. Shesassy
4.ncallstar321 (Geoff)
5. Jeepsloth (Mark)
6. DCin SC
7. ArchDuke
8. Ghost (Glenn)
9. 99XJSPORT06 (Tim)
10. waytofastforyou
11. Jonnyjpr
12. Gray_Penguin
13. Lowrange2
14. NCCherokee (Kenny)
15. NC_Jeepin (Bruce)
16. Tim Dog

Okay fella's. Since we go something going here perhaps we should consider merging with the other Mid Atlantic states too. Just Carolinas would be great but will we have enough people for events? I'm new to this so 15 or 20 might be enough. I'm just thinking VA has some good places to ride. I guess we could ride where ever we want to though.

NCjeepin said:
i vote we exclude tim dog from any chapter

http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32234

Nice! Glad your looking out. I think if you read the entire thread you might think differntly. My thread was actually from a spin off from NAXJA. Maybe you should consider reading further. Greg from 4WP & I are one the same page. Time to get over it. I was looking out for the community. I hope your not another flamer that goes with the crowd. This is why I wont pay NC4x4 membership fee's. I like to voice my opinion. Not bash people with other groups that are to affraid to stand strong. If we start a chapter we need to stand together and HEAR EACH OTHER out.

Ghost said:

Well after thinking this over, I can not at this time give permission to split up the SE Chapter. My reasons are 1) all but 4 of the members to speak up have been members for more than 6 months. 2) I do not think splitting the chapter into 3 is a good thing at this time either. There are not enough people actually active in the chapter. Yes we have a lot of members but there has not been that much going on. This is going to change this next year.

We will be having bi monthly rides all over the SEC and I encourage those that want to create another chapter to take this time to have meet and greets to establish a good core group.

Kudzu said:
Well after thinking this over, I can not at this time give permission to split up the SE Chapter. My reasons are 1) all but 4 of the members to speak up have been members for more than 6 months. 2) I do not think splitting the chapter into 3 is a good thing at this time either. There are not enough people actually active in the chapter. Yes we have a lot of members but there has not been that much going on. This is going to change this next year.

We will be having bi monthly rides all over the SEC and I encourage those that want to create another chapter to take this time to have meet and greets to establish a good core group.

Im open for whatever.. I just want to wheel...

The one thing w/ the SEC is the geographic distance between everyone is large. I dont expect you guys to come up to central NC for a meet/greet... and I don't plan to head to Alabama/Georgia/Florida, et. either for that.

Same goes for wrenching, etc.... The way I see it the area is just too large and we would benefit more from more localized chapters.. I cannot help it that the Carolina's have lots of people wanting to wheel together (or say they do anyway).

Im also not against anyone from any other area.. I hope to get up to Crozet w/ some of the VA guys sometime in the near future, etc. I just think it would be easier to be a better/tighter group if the areas were shrunk.

Since the split isnt going to happen for now the NC/SC guys look for some form of a meet/greet sometime in the near future.

Everyone else... some of us are planning to head to Callalantee Thanksgiving weekend.. and Tellico the last weekend in December.. Anyone else have any ideas for some "un-official" rides.

Chris

Kudzu said:

I just hope that will actually happen... The whole idea of just the Crawl and Fall Flog is sad in my book.. we should be trying to wheel together more often..

Im tired of wheeling w/ just yotas, wranglers, and buggies.. there's hardly ever a real Unibody vehicle out there anymore...

I love fishing! I grew up wheelin on the beach. Great points about tighter chapter UNCC Civil Engineer. There are other states with there own chapters. This is the reason I'm saying we should consider a Mid-Atlantic chapter. I'll drive upto 5 hours for a ride, but couldn't see myself going to Kentucky, or Alabama. They're just to far. I'd consider Georgia, and maybe florida being I have friends and family there. Virginia has some great places to ride, I'm going to assume Maryland too since I see some great rigs coming out of there.

I'll say this, the only people in my area (Alabama) that I know from NAXJA are also in my local club (CAOS4x4). I do not think we have enough people to make it ourselves and besides Grayrock the Carolinas have the good wheeling.

I am obviously not active in anything now, but next year I plan to make the drive to Tellico atleast once and would like to meet you guys face to face. I plan to make the trip more often once my health is there for it. I really really want to ride with other XJs.

The way it was a few years ago, there was a core Chapter 'group' of about ten of us, at one time (want to say it was 02-03) there were little weekend trail-rides going on all the time, along with the two main events Cherokee Crawl and the Fall Flog.

In fact the Fall Flog is still a pretty unofficial (meaning relaxed/not rigidly organized) event...much like those monthly rides were: Just a bunch of friends hitting the trail in their XJs and MJs, followed by a pot-luck supper and some fireside shenanegins. Newcomers were always invited, and the intent was to meet new folks, get the core group together (sometimes for a bit of face to face event planning & biz junk) and mainly to have fun.

I'd suggest instead of working towards a goal of 'splitting up' the SouthEast Chapter, work towards building it up/get more stuff going on again. If the NC folks get a solid core of folks who can and will lead events, do it! Uwharrie is open for anther month or so, not sure if Tellico is closing for the winter now - or if they just jack up the fee... Same goes for the VA folks, deep south folks, etc.

As far as complaints about driving diatances, for me at least (other than Uwharrie) 7 hours to go wheeling is a minimum: 7 hours to Tellico, 7 hours to Windrock, 7 hours to Harlan, a little more than 7 hours to Beasley & Rich Mountain, probably 7 to Crozet/GWNF etc... Jellico, Greyrock & others are even further. Consolidating SEC into smaller sub-chapters wouldn't make new wheeling areas magically appear in the NC triad would it? I wish it were that easy!

Keeping fun things going on isn't always fun, or always easy. It takes some work and motivation to pull it off. Sometimes it is fun, and sometimes it's easy too... well, easier when working with a good team than trying to go it alone. That part (solidifying a "team" that can accomplish things) needs some attention, but with all the folks expressing interest in this thread, it is very do-able.

Back