• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unbreakable Windshield??

https://www.racingoptics.com/industries/windshielddefense/

They currently offer a solution for Wrangler's, stating that shields for flat windshields are easier to manufacture. They shared that Racing Optics will be producing a 3 layer film solution for XJ's in April '23. They state that each layer (3 total) is good for at least one year of normal driving.
Price point is approx $280.00

That's a windshield price. I hope it comes available when they say so when i put my new windshield in it will be protected for a while.

So this may not be the solution you are looking for, but it worked for me. My insurance company allows me to have a different deductible for collision and comprehensive coverage. I set my comprehensive to $0 and my collision to $250. Every windshield I've replaced out of pocket cost between $225 and $300. This allows me to get a free windshield every time a rock hits my windshield. The cost of making it $0 was about the cost of 1 windshield over 2 to 3 years of coverage. If you don't carry full coverage, see if you can just add comprehensive.

If you want the absolute closest thing to "unbreakable", a Lexan style material would be the way to go. It will be virtually (not completely) unbreakable and lighter than glass, but comes with downsides like: UV degradation over time, relatively low scratch resistance, can not be easily broken to rescue you in an emergency, would be like hitting a solid wall if thrown into etc.

If these films are anything like security films used in other industries (very likely they are, just rebranded), then the film will not actually add much if anything to the glass's ability to resist shattering. It should however keep shattered glass together once compromised. Security films in building applications are secured/anchored to the window's frame with structural adhesive, not just applied to the glass surface itself.

Reducing flex of the unibody (the cause of much broken glass) would be another way to reduce or eliminate the need for windshield and rear quarter glass replacement as well as prolong the life of the body as a whole. Some ways this likely can be accomplished:

- Additional seam welding of the body panels (as is common in race and rally unibody cars).

- Add an internal cage with triangulation that runs fwd to aft and side to side.

- Stiffen and/or box, or replace "frame" rails with box tubing.

- Combine all three of the above, with internal cage tied directly to boxed "frame" rail tops.

You shouldn't be breaking any windows due to flex after that.

Back