• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ubolts...

is 3/8th's stock sizing? that seems TINY

no, I think 1/2 is stock, 9/16's is considered a bit beefier. I also came to the conclusion that willy's jeeps were 1/4 ton trucks, that were quite a bit lighter duty (though still very tough..I'd love to have a CJ-2A to resto-mod) and could get away with 3/8's ubolts...

or hell, maybe they were trailer ubolts and he didn't know what the f##K he was talking about..haha!!!

Blessings

-Brian

Thanks, John. I really do appreciate your input and your offer.

I ended up shopping around a bit on my commute home, calling a few places, and found that MIT (on pioneer in el cajon) had a RE ubolt setup
for $35.00 sittin' on their shelf. SCORE!

1/2", nice nuts(hehe) and washers, for half the price of national. PERFECT! Now I know that that there is no time limit on my axle swap, I can gather my ZJ stuff, driveshaft, and do it right AND still refresh my springs this weekend.

Hey John, could you PM me a price/idea on what it would take to install a ARB in my 8.25 while its out? I'm thinking that's the way I want to go eventually, and it makes sense (to me at least) to have it done before its in the truck. I'd be keeping the 3.55's.

thanks, everyone for helping me figure it out...yay!!!

-Brian
Awesome!

FYI (I'm not John, I know) the 8.25 carrier break is down around 2.something, so putting a locker in and keeping the 3.55s won't be a problem if you want to gear up later AFAIK.

Awesome!

FYI (I'm not John, I know) the 8.25 carrier break is down around 2.something, so putting a locker in and keeping the 3.55s won't be a problem if you want to gear up later AFAIK.

BTW, I'm not John, either. haha!

I'm enough of a xj owner now, though, to know that your kung fu is strong, brother. :)

Thanks, John. I really do appreciate your input and your offer.

I ended up shopping around a bit on my commute home, calling a few places, and found that MIT (on pioneer in el cajon) had a RE ubolt setup
for $35.00 sittin' on their shelf. SCORE!

1/2", nice nuts(hehe) and washers, for half the price of national. PERFECT! Now I know that that there is no time limit on my axle swap, I can gather my ZJ stuff, driveshaft, and do it right AND still refresh my springs this weekend.

Hey John, could you PM me a price/idea on what it would take to install a ARB in my 8.25 while its out? I'm thinking that's the way I want to go eventually, and it makes sense (to me at least) to have it done before its in the truck. I'd be keeping the 3.55's.

thanks, everyone for helping me figure it out...yay!!!

-Brian
Maybe since it's out it would be a good time to do disk brakes? If that is out because of cost then get a second set of brake shoes and install the long ones in place of the short ones on the axle and you will see a noticeable improvement in braking.

Maybe since it's out it would be a good time to do disk brakes? If that is out because of cost then get a second set of brake shoes and install the long ones in place of the short ones on the axle and you will see a noticeable improvement in braking.

yup, I'm doing ZJ discs on the 8.25 while its on my bench. The plan when the 8.25 goes in, is for it to have ZJ discs, new seals/bearings, new paint, HD diff cover(ARB maybe), and ARB air locker.
"
I'm going with the "sleeper", "super stock" idea with my build, so having a selectable with discs in the rear feels perfect to me. Especially since I can loan out my truck to anyone who needs it, with the knowledge that its off-road ability will be completely transparent to my wife or friends who might need to borrow a car.

Better than stock by far, but still fully factory jeep. (If I ran the factory..haha:))

Thanks for the PM, John, I'll definitely be calling when I'm ready!!

Last edited:
need some u-bolts for a lift install this weekend.

I know national springs is right down the street cuz I used them for center pins and spring clamps, but having had to do brakes on both our van and the jeep this last weekend, has simply blown our disposable budget right now...:tears:

$55.00 for ubolts is a "no-go". (thats what they just quoted me)

crap.

any other options? I'm not going to swap in my 8.25 right now, so all I need are some d35 ones.My susp. is fully clapped out, otherwise I'd just
wait to do everything till I have ubolts and my disc swap done...

Hey i think i have a brand new set of u bolts for a D35? When i did my RC kit it came with 2 sets of u bolts. I'm guessing for the 8.25 or D35. I'll double check when i get home. You still need them?

Hey i think i have a brand new set of u bolts for a D35? When i did my RC kit it came with 2 sets of u bolts. I'm guessing for the 8.25 or D35. I'll double check when i get home. You still need them?

wow, thanks a LOT guys!!:patriot:

I actually found some, though, so I'm all set!

Very nice of you.

I'm sure someone else will need 'em, though...

-Brian

Back