• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.3/AW4 becomes LSx/T-56-

Dumb-ish question... I'm reasonably certain you could have done a 5.3/AW4 using almost all factory parts (maybe a special flexplate, but that's about it) using the AW4 out of a 2.5 87-90 (and possibly later according to cal, iirc) auto XJ/MJ and an LS4 from an impala SS, since they have the small corp metric pattern. I mean, it'd still end up an automatic, which is a shame, but I'm curious why this wasn't tried, no bellhousing adapters required, etc.

The same trick *should* work (aside from clutch disc, TOB length, and pilot bearing dimension concerns) using a 2.5L Dakota bellhousing on an LS4 + AX15. Really pushing the limits on the AX15 torque spec there, however.

What you ended up is superior to either of these plans, but sure costs a lot more too.

Jesus Ken, how do you know so much! :D

I don't know it, I suspect it. And from too much reading/web wheeling and not enough wrenching :spin1:

Back