• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U joint, U bolt install (factory yoke)

RedJeep2.0

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
after wheeling with a fellow jeeper, his U joint strap bolts broke off and we could not install a spare drive line on the trail.

the U joint U bolt install in to the factory yoke.

im a cheap person (when i can be)
others i have talked to, are in to this 100 bucks (with new yokes)

i am in to this for 15 bucks!

Parts list:
spicer U bolt kit 2-94-58x ( you can NOT use the one for a dana 30)
vermont american drill bit 5/8" 12670

47574c21.jpg

You can NOT go in to a parts store and say "give me U bolts for a dana 30" they will be the wrong size. you need this part #. it maches up with the factory holes on the yoke.

24600b93.jpg

i like this bit, it has a life time warranty.

factory yoke
c96d361f.jpg

get a friend to hold the yoke so it wont spin, and you can keep the drill level
9a443ea7.jpg

9445f729.jpg

lower hole is drilled, upper is not

1ee6ce76.jpg

27395854.jpg

all 4 done
32b2712b.jpg

its tight! the hole is fine, but it might be worth it to bend the u bolt out. maybe one half of 1/16th, not much. but we did not.

002c816c.jpg

01d946cb.jpg

8dbf1d20.jpg

bd51207d.jpg

f4bcce39.jpg

took all of 20 mins

thats it, way stronger!

15 bucks or 100 bucks every one who wheels should do this, it will save a trail fix.

and what rear end is this for? D53 or 8.25?

the XJ 44 and the front D30 use the same yokes so D30 u-bolts would fit that one.

vermont american drill bit 5/8" 12670

24600b93.jpg

i like this bit, it has a life time warranty.

Ok I am going to be doing this but have to ask (No not being a smart ass here) but is it 5/8" bit or 5/16" bit? There is a big difference there. Going by the pic and the part number you put up I'm thinking the package is the correct size here. Just want to be sure.

The 8.25" yoke can't use a u-bolt because the nut won't fut flush on the backside of the yoke unless it is machined.

Ok I am going to be doing this but have to ask (No not being a smart ass here) but is it 5/8" bit or 5/16" bit? There is a big difference there. Going by the pic and the part number you put up I'm thinking the package is the correct size here. Just want to be sure.

Please tell me this isn't a serious post.

The 8.25" yoke can't use a u-bolt because the nut won't fut flush on the backside of the yoke unless it is machined.

^see and this is what I thought the deal was. I also thought that you can't do it on the D30 b/c there isn't enough clearance for the nut to go one regardless if its flat or not.

Another point to bring up, isn't the yoke slightly different for the u-bolt type too. Besides obvious reasons, don't the u-bolts need to sit further out on the u-joint as to keep the loading in the cap end, rather than the middle? From the looks of the picture it doesn't seem that you can or should be any further out on the u-joint.

Another point to bring up, isn't the yoke slightly different for the u-bolt type too. Besides obvious reasons, don't the u-bolts need to sit further out on the u-joint as to keep the loading in the cap end, rather than the middle? From the looks of the picture it doesn't seem that you can or should be any further out on the u-joint.

No idea what you're talking about.

You may find that the U-Joint fails prematurely due to that u-bolt does not fully support the cap.
On Spicer U-bolt yoke the u-bolt fits the cap for about 170 degrees or more. The u-bolt will crush the cap due to the limited contact area.
Hope you have good luck with your set-up.

so what we have learned here is

-This wont work on a D30 or 8.25
-If it DOES work, it will inevitably kill U-joints
-Web wheeling and Assumptions Go hand in hand
-Even tho the drill bit package shows 5/16" you can still confuse that with 5/8"
-Screw experience and feedback.. It wont work.. The people that do this day in, day out.. at Six States are idiots.

yes. that sounds right.

so what we have learned here is

-This wont work on a D30 or 8.25
-If it DOES work, it will inevitably kill U-joints
-Web wheeling and Assumptions Go hand in hand
-Even tho the drill bit package shows 5/16" you can still confuse that with 5/8"
-Screw experience and feedback.. It wont work.. The people that do this day in, day out.. at Six States are idiots.

yes. that sounds right.

Well I tell you what, if it is not going to work and will fail on anyone it would be you Scott. If it works and last on Scotts rig then it will last for anyone.

You may find that the U-Joint fails prematurely due to that u-bolt does not fully support the cap.
On Spicer U-bolt yoke the u-bolt fits the cap for about 170 degrees or more. The u-bolt will crush the cap due to the limited contact area.
Hope you have good luck with your set-up.

Google something.

You are half wright. IF you over tighten it yes, over tighten your yoke bolt and see what happens.

29 foot lbs is what you want.

It's people like you I hate! Tell everyone that it won't work or it's bad.

If you don't know ask don't tell people what you think, like your the shit.

Did you know not all u joint straps lay flat? Like an old style Dana 44. You had a 3/16th gap on each side. And you can over tighten it.
If you web wheel or think the mall is HARD core. This is not for you, because you will never brake anything

Last edited:
bout time nick, I've been sitting here with my keyboard, saying "wait for it..... waaaait for it..." For over an hour now.

can i borrow your wrench? I lost mine under my keyboard..

Back