• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn Signal Issue

hoodride

NAXJA Forum User
I'm fixing a few issues on a friends bone stock '98 2dr 2wd 2.5 auto, base sport with power nothing. Occasionally when she turns on the left turn signal the front works fine but the rear hazards will come on, it only does it randomly and only when going left. The turn signals blink at a normal pace so I don't think its the flasher relay, it does it with lights on or off. Everything else related in the column works fine so what could it be? Any help would be appreciated.

I know you said everything else in the column works fine, but just so it's specific...

The hazard flashers work the way they're supposed to? The hazard switch tends to be a common problem point. That would be my first guess, but there's a chance the turn signal switch is on the fritz too.

Yeah the hazards work as they should so I don't see that being the problem. Is the turn signal switch the actual mechanism attached to the stalk on the inside of the column, or is there a switch mounted elsewhere like at the base of the column? Thanks.

Didn't 98 use a combined turn/hazard flasher? If so, that is where I would start testing.

Yes you are right, Thats what fixed mine, There have been a lot of problems in the 98-99 year range with turn signals. Maybe newer models also

Ok, I would definitely take a look at the flasher before messing with the switch. On a combo like that failure of the entire piece would be unusual, but "cross-signaling" on the inside happens.

Flasher is cheap, and easy to replace. MFS, not so much. Both seem to be prone to failure, at least from what I've read. EP27 at most parts stores, Chryco pn is 56021551. Probably set you back $15 and 15 minutes. If that's not your problem, it'll probably be at some point in the future. If that doesn't cure it, it could be the MFS.
http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl271h.htm

You can probably google the diagnostics for the MFS if you have a DMM and are so inclined.

I had a similar issue. When I turned on my blinker it would stay on, if I turned on my hazards, they would blink left - right- Not both at the same time. I had to run a ground to the rear of the driver side blinker bulb to get it back to normal...

I will probably try the relay first, but I have one more question... on top of the random signal issue, when signaling left the lever doesn't self cancel so you have to manually but it does to the right. (Steering wheel is in the correct position.) Would the blinker issue lean futher toward it being a turn signal switch problem rather than a relay, ground, etc.?

I will probably try the relay first, but I have one more question... on top of the random signal issue, when signaling left the lever doesn't self cancel so you have to manually but it does to the right. (Steering wheel is in the correct position.) Would the blinker issue lean futher toward it being a turn signal switch problem rather than a relay, ground, etc.?

Yes

The flasher is not the problem as it's only function is to flash the 12v feed to the multifunction switch. the problem most likely is the multifunction switch itself.

i have seen issues with aftermarket multifunction switches not cancelling after making a turn, tried 2 autozone switches, neither would cancel. ordered an OEM replacement and it worked fine.

The flasher is not the problem as it's only function is to flash the 12v feed to the multifunction switch. the problem most likely is the multifunction switch itself.

i have seen issues with aftermarket multifunction switches not cancelling after making a turn, tried 2 autozone switches, neither would cancel. ordered an OEM replacement and it worked fine.

X2. The switch is what controls where the voltage is going to, the relay just provides the power. Take your switches apart and clean all contacts. It is very simple, just unscrew the screws holding the column housing, pull apart, and you'll need a small torx bit to remove the hazard switch bar thats holding it in place. If you are still having problems with the signal not self canceling, take the wheel off and inspect the clockspring.

Ok, before I tear into this can I replace the entire multifunction switch and signal lever without pulling the wheel by just removing the column cover or does the wheel assembly have to come off? I wish my repair manual had better info on later models.

Ok, before I tear into this can I replace the entire multifunction switch and signal lever without pulling the wheel by just removing the column cover or does the wheel assembly have to come off? I wish my repair manual had better info on later models.
The wheel does not need to come off. I've literally taken my switch out dozens of times. It's a very simple task. Just remove the 3 screws under the column housing and your good to go. Just make sure the wheel is as low as it can go so your able to get the top part off easily. If you need more help you can call or text me at (eight zero five) 550-nine-nine-eight-three.

-Nick

Back