• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn, Click, DEAD

Have you tried checking the batt voltage while cranking?

I have had a couple that would show charged, but drop to 6v when cranked

That is what I was going to say. It may be fine at rest, but it needs a load test.

You can also take it up to the zone, or advance...etc, and have them load test it.

I bet the battery is bad.

click-no-start is classic symptom of a dead starter solenoid (click should be the relay, meaning ignition is going all the way to the starter solenoid and doing nothing). check the starter solenoid before you do anything with the ignition cylnder

Have you tried checking the batt voltage while cranking? NO

I bet the battery is bad.

Good bet!!

Ignition switch replaced - no change

I whacked the starter - no change.

I jumped it off my XJ - started right up,:yelclap: took off the cables, ran it for 10 minutes. Alt is charging at 14.5v. Shut it down for 30 seconds - Turn, click, dead

:idea:Bum battery - Wal-Mart warranty...only 10 mos old. Pick that up tomorrow...if it doesn't change I'll go break a bottle or something (after I carefully empty it into a frosty mug). Then buy a starter.

Cool, I just learned something new. I always thought if the batt held over 12 volts it was good. Good to know.
I'm glad you found out the problem,on another note atleast you know how old the ignition switch is now.

click-no-start is classic symptom of a dead starter solenoid (click should be the relay, meaning ignition is going all the way to the starter solenoid and doing nothing). check the starter solenoid before you do anything with the ignition cylnder

I know I had power to the starter by the DMM/DVM, but it wasn't cranking it unless I jumped it. I sure wish I understood amperage and wattage, and is there a way to test for amps and watts??:confused1

Anyhoo, gotta replace the dang battery...I think I'm good then. It's amazing to me that this 1988 motor just purrs like a kitten...until...Turn, Click, DEAD.

Back in the day had a vw with the same problem. Start like new maybe 8 times of ten, then dead dead as a mackeral.

Changed this and that to no change, load test etc., etc.

Finally- Was getting another 'fast charge' at a station and looked down at the cell levels and BINGO! one cell was not bubbling at all. Replaced battery- Fixed.

Good Luck,
Orange

Back in the day had a vw...I'm there!!! with the same problem. Start like new maybe 8 times of ten, then dead dead as a mackeral.

Changed this and that to no change, load test etc., etc.

Finally- Was getting another 'fast charge' at a station and looked down at the cell levels and BINGO! one cell was not bubbling at all. Replaced battery- Fixed.

Good Luck,
Orange

I can't see inside, it's sealed. I do, however remember being able to look in there and see a dry cell...and new $20 tires. Y'know back in the day. 1969.

So, news flash...I found an older battery in my shop. Been there for a few months. Took it out, 11.5V. It's on the charger now o'ernight. May be good, maybe not. :dunno:

I know I had power to the starter by the DMM/DVM, but it wasn't cranking it unless I jumped it. I sure wish I understood amperage and wattage, and is there a way to test for amps and watts??:confused1

Anyhoo, gotta replace the dang battery...I think I'm good then. It's amazing to me that this 1988 motor just purrs like a kitten...until...Turn, Click, DEAD.

an ampere (amp) represents the amount of current in a circuit... voltage is defined scientifically as the circuit's "potential difference", or the amount of "pressure" that drives electricity in a circuit...watts are a measure of the use of electrical power, and one watt is equal to one volt multiplied by one amp

way to test amperage, with an ammeter... carbon pile comes into play as well

Amps and Volts aren't really hard to understand. The best way I've found for me to understand is using the old water hose analogy. Volts is the *pressure* coming out of the hose, Amps is like gallons per minute. You can have a hose putting out a lot of pressure (high volts), but it may not be putting out much water (low amps). Not exactly how electricity works but close enough to get a feel for it. You can also have a large diameter hose putting out a lot of water (amps), but without much pressure (volts).

Watts = amps X volts and can be a unit of work like horsepower, in fact 750 watts = 1 horsepower (approximately , +/- a fraction).

Hopefully its as easy as the battery! I had this same issue - Turn, click, DEAD. No juice, NOTHING. Wouldn't jump. Pull battery, charge, Turn click DEAD. I found out the power cable was literally MELTED at the starter. Both the power and the ground wires were rotted and complete shit. I believe the starter was sticking, and creating a continuous draw - which killed the battery & stopped it from receiving any type of charge/jump while connected. I replaced both cables and the starter all at the same time, and problem solved.. Until the wire connections at the relay came lose lol. Anyways, I did a bit of a write up on it complete with pictures. Had some good help in that thread, incase the battery isn't your problem.

Amps and Volts aren't really hard to understand. The best way I've found for me to understand is using the old water hose analogy. Volts is the *pressure* coming out of the hose, Amps is like gallons per minute. You can have a hose putting out a lot of pressure (high volts), but it may not be putting out much water (low amps). Not exactly how electricity works but close enough to get a feel for it. You can also have a large diameter hose putting out a lot of water (amps), but without much pressure (volts).

Watts = amps X volts and can be a unit of work like horsepower, in fact 750 watts = 1 horsepower (approximately , +/- a fraction).

My buddy is an electrical contractor, knows his s/*t. HE doesn't understand PLUMBING, is "afraid" of gas lines. Plumbing, water or gas, is an excellent analogy. I may be able to wrap my pea brain around that!!

Back