• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trying to remove the cross shaft in my 8.25 to pull a shaft but it hits the ring gear

OK I got the axle shaft out! FINALLY!

My jeep was born on 5/96. I have a 27 spline shaft :( Which is surprising because I haven't been easy on it at all and run 33" tires.

Am I correct in thinking that my current gears and LSD will NOT work with a 29 spline axle?

The side gears will not work, however you can buy new side gears for the carrier that are 29spl and they should pop right in. So, simply put, you just need a new spider gear set and you ought to get a clutch pack to go with it just to make sure everything is in top shape.

how did you get it out?

I turned the carrier shaft as suggested above.

It was a PINA to turn it. I tried vice grips but they wouldn't work. Eventually I used the tip of a screw driver to turn the shaft. Then I beat on the axle shaft to move it in, turned the housing upside down, and the C clip fell right out.

Where can I buy the side gears at and how much should they cost? Basically it's a 27 spline w/ 4.56 gears and some type of LSD (i think it's a trac-lok). Want to put it in a new 29 spline axle. Since I have the side gears from both a 27 spline and would also have them from a 29 spline I'm not sure I understand what I need to buy.

Thanks for the links. But since I already have a trac loc for my 27 spline axle, from my research, the trac loc will not work with a 29 spline axle unless I buy the one specifically made for it. Correct? Which means i have to find a new 27 spline axle if I want to use my the LSD I already have.

Well, I am glad the OP got the shafts out. I had an 8.25 29 spline that had the ring gear ground for the cross pin. The cross pin had NO flat spot in it. The reason for the cross pin without a flat spot is to prevent the cross pin from rotating and loosing an axle shaft down the road. Grinding the ring gear to clearance a cross pin is not something new! It cracks me up how people will argue over simple shit............ :dunno:

For the record I did not see the other post by the OP showing the cross pin flat spot.

You could put your 27 spline lsd in the new axle as long as yyou use the 27 spline shafts, but you will need a new carrier to use it with 29 spline shafts :(

Glad you finally got it apart. Might want to reinstall the carrier in the housing minus shafts and spin it, see if there is any runout in the ring gear flange. That cross shaft probably should have turned easier.

I have a 27 spline shaft :( Which is surprising because I haven't been easy on it at all and run 33" tires.

That whole 29 spline hype is severely overrated. I can't tell you how many brakestands I did with my '70s V8 Mopars using 27 spline 8.25" axles...and never broke anything.

The reason for the cross pin without a flat spot is to prevent the cross pin from rotating and loosing an axle shaft down the road.

:bs:

The cross pin will not rotate unless you are either missing the bolt that holds it in, or it snaps. if that happens you have more to worry about than the axle shaft moving out, centrifugal force will throw the entire cross pin outwards while the carrier is rotating. The bolt goes through the cross pin, it can't rotate with the bolt in place.

gotta say theres alot of people on here that one dont bother to read the whole post and two dont know crap about differentials. the reason some of you have a completely round cross pin with no flat spot is because you dont have 4.56s+, your pins can just come right out. that pin was installed when the gears were just for the purpose of assembly/disassembly without messing with the ring gear. its a much better solution then grinding the gear tooth

Back