• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trying to fight the usual insurance company rip-off

They're paying storage :). That's the one thing in my favor.

That is NOT in your best interest.

If you drag it out they will eventually say that you've gone beyond a reasonable amount of time and they will cease to pay storage after x amount of days.

Get that thing moved to your house and use that as leverage... hey I saved you guys money by moving the car home where I could store it at no charge. Use their words... you mitigated the losses on storage.

I feel for you.

However, you can't have it both ways. What I mean is, you can't refer to Kelley Blue Book and say Progressive's starting value is low and then in the same breath say that "trail rash" doesn't matter. Kelley Blue Book does not set prices based on modified off-road capability. Really, it comes down to what the vehicles are worth to the used car industry and the general public.

I suspsect this will be like fighting a speeding ticket: If you go through all the motions of arbitration you may not get OUT of the ticket but you might get it altered IN YOUR FAVOR by a good margin.

Fight hard. Good luck. Keep us posted. I'm very interested in this thread.

As far as insurance, there are a couple of companies that specialize in 'aftermarket' cars, antiques, hot rods, etc. They did a short thing on that 'My Classic Car', the one with the guy with the big mustache, base price if I remember was $800 a year then the replacement value came into play, add on's, etc. They also did not have the DD limitations that some have when you have a hot rod or something where they restrict you to some ridiculous mileage per year limit. It was on the show that was on like a week or two weeks ago.
This is the company
http://www.grundy.com/

The OP didn't give exact specs to his vehicle, but I thought his estimated value to be a bit high considering that he was going to take all the goodies off it.

So I ran a 92' 4L Automatic 4dr with the normal extras, premium wheels and "Oversized Off-Rd Tires", and 233Kmiles on the clock though KBB.

The values that you would pay a private party came back as:

Excellent: $1815
Good: $1565
Fair: $1215

Considering the milage, the OPs notes about the paint being bad, and the dings that were pre-existing to the accident, the unit would fall into "Fir" condition in my book. KBB defines "Fair" as:

kbb said:
Fair
$1,215
blue_star.gif
blue_star.gif
blue_star.gif
lightgrey_star.gif
lightgrey_star.gif

• Some mechanical or cosmetic defects and needs servicing but is still in reasonable running condition.
  • Clean title history, the paint, body and/or interior need work performed by a professional.
  • Tires may need to be replaced.
  • There may be some repairable rust damage.
Based on this, progressive's pay off seems a tad low, but not as low as the OP claims. The reason I didn't use "Retail Rates" is because it assumes that the Retailer is going to take care of any mechanical or paint defects to bring it up to atleast "Good" condition.

Certainly the advice about insurance claims here is golden. You don't have to take the other parties Insurance 1st offer. You can also, especially if you have full coverage, have your Insurance Company go to bat for you.

After flopping mine on Christmas Day evening, I quickly learned that ins. companies don't care about how a vehicle runs or its working parts. The value of it to them is in what the average person actually sees--the body and interior panels, et cetera. My adjuster (Progressive, as well) all but put it in those words for me.

FYI, settled for $1710 today. As others have said, never take their first offer. I might could have pushed for more but only a few hundred and with a lot more work.

FYI, settled for $1710 today. As others have said, never take their first offer. I might could have pushed for more but only a few hundred and with a lot more work.

if you are happy,good for you !! i`ve dealt with these exact scenarios for over 30 years. a couple of observations about this discussion.

first and foremost,if someone hit you in the rear and were deemed at fault,you have a butt load of leverage over the guy that backed his xj into another car himself.

and secondly,someone mentioned the storage was accumulating rapidly. this is not necessarily so. if the facility the vehicle was setting at was a direct repair facility for progressive ins.,the ins. has an agreement and they do not pay storage.

and secondly,someone mentioned the storage was accumulating rapidly. this is not necessarily so. if the facility the vehicle was setting at was a direct repair facility for progressive ins.,the ins. has an agreement and they do not pay storage.

True. However he did state that storage was accumulating.

So what did you do/argue? Did just showing up to contest it bring it up 70%?

Part of me says it's only another $700, peanuts to a big insurance company, and small price to pay to make a problem go away.

But the other, experienced part of me, says those leeches won't pay out one more nickel than they have to.

So, how'd you do it?

Robert

Basically, I just kept saying No, not good enough, what’s the next step? The first time the adjuster went through this long process of walking me through the numbers – Here’s the base retail value ($1845), here’s the existing damage to your jeep before the wreck right side, left side, roof, which would cost $1335 to repair, times 60% (no reason for this number) = $800; engine and tires add no value because all vehicles have to have engine and tires. Net value and settlement offer, $1045.

I argued that all the pre-existing damage was cosmetic and had no effect on how the jeep ran, even with the trail rash on the front sides all the lights still worked, etc. I pointed out I had just passed inspection 2 weeks prior. He said he would review with his boss and get back to me.

Next day, he said he had gone over his numbers with his boss and he stood by them and couldn’t do any better. I went over my arguments again, focusing on how ridiculous it was to say that the engine made no difference, because if a dealer was selling two 92 xj’s with 233K miles each, and one had the original engine and the other had my rebuilt engine with 75K miles, everybody would chose the 75K engine. He said Hmmm lemme talk to my boss.

He skipped a day and then called again, I said I was unwilling to settle and he said he could do no better, so I said I would call a lawyer and asked for 2 days to do that, and he said okay. That pushed it into the weekend.

The next day the guy called me, and his boss also called, even though I was supposed to have that day to talk to my lawyer. I didn’t return their calls. I didn’t really talk to an attorney either. Instead, I looked up some stuff online about arbitrating insurance disputes and I got the phone numbers for some arbitration organizations, which I was planning to ask for.

On Monday I called the adjuster’s boss, and he started right in saying he could give me a higher settlement offer and wanted to reach an agreement. I repeated all my usual arguments and he looked at the pictures of my existing damage, and he said the paint peeling didn’t look like a problem for a 17-year-old jeep so he raised the value $350 by taking that off. On the improvements I repeated my side-by-side argument about the engine and he offered $200, I countered with $300 and he agreed. I picked up another $15 somewhere in the calculations so the new offer came out at $1710, and I took it.

On Monday I called the adjuster’s boss, and he started right in saying he could give me a higher settlement offer and wanted to reach an agreement. I repeated all my usual arguments and he looked at the pictures of my existing damage, and he said the paint peeling didn’t look like a problem for a 17-year-old jeep so he raised the value $350 by taking that off. On the improvements I repeated my side-by-side argument about the engine and he offered $200, I countered with $300 and he agreed. I picked up another $15 somewhere in the calculations so the new offer came out at $1710, and I took it.

:worship: Good work dude. $700 is $700.

His insurance company has to love him - he swerved around and between $60-80,000 worth of vehicles in order to slam into the one $1,000 beater in the group.

they always say if you can't stop aim for something cheap

No, I didn't keep anything. I wanted to keep it all, but I couldn't find space to keep it. Then I offered it up on the board here, but nobody wanted it. Some junkyard got a good deal.

Back