• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trying to decide on what shocks to buy...

but i dont beleive that the 7100's come with the stock type upper mount and those bad boys are running in the range of 175 a piece from allshocks.com and i'd have to buy a bar pin eliminator type upper shock mount.

but your right in the sense that i should just go straight to the 7100 series and call it done, those are rebuildable, their great shocks and i will prolly never have to buy another set again unless i break them. so i'll prolly just save for a lower bpe and the upper barnett performance mount from t and j's and get a set of 7100's

my jeeps not going to be a pre runner or anything awesome like that. i just want it to be a well built daily driver that i can take out to the desert/dunes/trails and not have many problems with it. i wanna be able to hit that wash board road at 60mph and not feel it or destroy my upper shock mount like what happened to my buddies MJ. i'd like to come up on mud holes or divets in the road and soak it up.

for my rear i know i need longer shocks and shackles, my flex is far from desireable. i have crap for uptravel and down travel and i think its mostly due to my shackle maxing out. i can remove my rear shock completly and i get the same results for travel

those bad boys are running in the range of 175 a piece from allshocks.com and i'd have to buy a bar pin eliminator type upper shock mount.

so i'll prolly just save for a lower bpe and the upper barnett performance mount from t and j's and get a set of 7100's

destroy my upper shock mount like what happened to my buddies MJ. i'd like to come up on mud holes or divets in the road and soak it up.

Try shocks.com or raceshock.com for better prices

I made my own upper mount similar to JKS ones. Look at them. Just basically 1/8" plate bent in a U shape with a large bolt (I didn't even weld my bolt like JKS). Also, for what you are planning, you can replace the lower heim with a bushing kit. Call Kartek in Riverside, CA and they can set you up with that for cheap. This is if you are planning on running stock lower mount.

Your buddy destroyed his upper mount probably due to bad bump stop location allowing the upper mount to take large force hits due to the shock bottoming out and basically going solid.

Also, try this
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1020661

Last edited:
Try shocks.com or raceshock.com for better prices

I made my own upper mount similar to JKS ones. Look at them. Just basically 1/8" plate bent in a U shape with a large bolt (I didn't even weld my bolt like JKS). Also, for what you are planning, you can replace the lower heim with a bushing kit. Call Kartek in Riverside, CA and they can set you up with that for cheap. This is if you are planning on running stock lower mount.

Your buddy destroyed his upper mount probably due to bad bump stop location allowing the upper mount to take large force hits due to the shock bottoming out and basically going solid.

Also, try this
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1020661

these are the upper mounts im looking to run with for up front. it just seems like over kill. and after i tack weld them in place i will never have a problem with them.
http://tandjperformance.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=7
i'll just do a standard JKS BPE for the bottom so the heim joint shouldnt be an issue either.

it was just a wash board road, his upper rubber bushing just granaded. it was those polyurathane bushing's i think energy bushings. but either way. they just fell apart and his bump stop's are good

Hey Jim i gotta question. Today i ran into this yota guy and he had leaf springs and then did one of the shock absorber coil over similiar to this http://www.thepartsbin.com/images/products/images/fabtech/dirtlogic_conversion.jpg on the rear. What do you guys think of that. I didnt really care for it but i started thinking about it a little more and maybe he is onto something with the leafs and those. it rode real nice watching him. He went through some whoops here locally at about 55 and looked great doing it.

He was running leafs AND coilovers?

Yeah I have seen them before as well... They aren't those coil overs that were linked to by any means. I have seen them used in an overload spring kind of idea for people who haul extra weight or tow a lot. The ones I saw were a rear application that just went in place of the shocks. Kind of like the old air shocks you could get that had a schrader valve on the rear bumper to pick that ass up.

Yeah I have seen them before as well... They aren't those coil overs that were linked to by any means. I have seen them used in an overload spring kind of idea for people who haul extra weight or tow a lot. The ones I saw were a rear application that just went in place of the shocks. Kind of like the old air shocks you could get that had a schrader valve on the rear bumper to pick that ass up.

=) i have those on the back of my s10 my s10 rides awesome with my dirt bike in the back of it now they remind me almost exactly of my old 87 trx 250R front shocks

and jim whats pictured looks more like a ride height adjustable strut from the front of a toyota... not so much a coilover =) ive seen people run what looks like control arms from the rear bumper to the axle.
IMO i think just because they did it, it dont make it right. and just because it worked on thier setup dont always mean it will work with yours.

Last edited:
By all means i dont plan on doing it i was just wondering if anyone has heard of it. But ya i saw the guy today at the store by my house and i was talking to him again and these are what he is actually running on the rear.
http://www.gotuning.com/product_info.php?fPath=S2000_3_138&products_id=321

I didnt have a camera with me to get a pic of it. I just thought it was really weird that he had this like that for the gofast stuff. I know i have seen them on trucks for loads or i have seen the air bags(which i just ordered for my dodge).

I was at 4 wheel parts today and Full Traction just sold their jeep speed and i was looking at their work on it and was wondering how much of a difference do the torsion bars make on the go fast stuff. I know they stop the axle wrap but is there a major difference from not having them and having them for the off road point. I had them on my mustang back in the day but never thought of putting them on for offroad. I know they help with axle hop. But i dont really feel axle hop on my jeep.

these are what are on the rear of my S10... they add an extra 500 lbs of load carrying possiblity =) (not my vehicle, just a random photo from photobucket)
DSC00011-1.jpg

Last edited:
ok guys i took my shocks off and at a good amout of droop was at 32 inches. the compressed side was 18. so now i need to figure if i can find a shock a little longer than that. Something like 17 33

I'm going to try and measure my ext and collapser lengths tonight, but off the top of your head, running stock lower mounts, can anyone tell me if a 14" travel Fox 2.0 remote resi would even come close to fitting? I have 5.5" of lift up front and I think the RK arms bottom out against the frame before my bumps (have to check and adjust if so).
I can look into getting some new lower mounts, then I'd just have to either convince my brother in law to weld them on or beg one of y'all to do it. :D

I only ask because I found a deal for a pair of them for $300 on craigslist. The lady claims they've only been run 6 times or so and they're going to coilovers now. The only other thing I could see is if the valving is wrong, I'd have to get them revalved, but no biggy if so.

I'm going to try and measure my ext and collapser lengths tonight, but off the top of your head, running stock lower mounts, can anyone tell me if a 14" travel Fox 2.0 remote resi would even come close to fitting? I have 5.5" of lift up front and I think the RK arms bottom out against the frame before my bumps (have to check and adjust if so).
I can look into getting some new lower mounts, then I'd just have to either convince my brother in law to weld them on or beg one of y'all to do it. :D

I only ask because I found a deal for a pair of them for $300 on craigslist. The lady claims they've only been run 6 times or so and they're going to coilovers now. The only other thing I could see is if the valving is wrong, I'd have to get them revalved, but no biggy if so.

FWIW, I couldn't fit a 14" Bilstein 5150 on the TNT mounts with an RE 5.5" coil up front. I had 1" of uptravel.

Not sure how much that helps you.

That doesn't help me at all. You were supposed to tell me they would fit and add 30hp! :D

Ok, so just ordered my shocks. Bilstein 7100s 12" short bodies with 360/80 valving up front and 10" short bodies with 278/76 or something for the rear. :D Got em from eshocks.com with free shipping. I'm vurry excited. I suppose I will have to order some shock conversions now for the front..

Back