• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Treadwright Buyers: BEWARE. Pics inside...

Both pics of the tread seperating are because there is air getting in between the cap and tire carcass. When they inspect and grind off the old tread they also usually check for holes thru the belt pack with high voltage electricity. Any places where the electricity makes it thru they mark and then are suppose to patch. Its very possible that they missed a patch or its not installed correctly.

When you dismount that tire I'd look inside for patches or other repairs. Also if the bead is torn or damaged it can allow air to travel up the sidewall and cause the same problem.

Strangely, the bubble went down completely over the past week. I took it out of my trunk today and had to look closely to find where it was. However, I can feel the tread has completely seperated from whatever is underneath. You can grab a lug with your fingers and pull the whole tread upwards a substantial amount. I emailed treadwright earlier today and sent them 4 of the pictures, we'll see what they say.

I'm with Wheeling; they missed a puncture, or the repair failed. They shouldn't hesitate either way; it's something they did, or were supposed to do.

I also mentioned the balancing issue. I know for the love of god it shouldn't take that much weight to "balance" a tire... and they still vibrate like chet. I have no doubt they'll come through, but ugh I hate riding around on this busted looking spare. and then I'll probably have to dismount and ship it back to them. Just more time, money, and patience.

I've been running 315 75/16's (35's) on my XJ (not a DD) for over a year. They ride great, grip rocks well, not great in the mud.... but hey, they're MTR's, i don't expect them too!! Also, they balanced well....a couple 2-3 oz. on each wheel (not bad for a 35" tire in my eyes)
I've recommended Treadwright to MANY people and some have bought them. Of all people we've yet to have issues. Not saying they don't have issues but i've had excellent results with these
https://www.treadwright.com/p-77-315-75r16-guard-dog-m-t-d.aspx
The carcus for all my tires is the Toyo Open Country A/T
I'm very impressed with my Treadwrights after a little over 1 year and hell yea i'd buy them again!

Last edited:
Got an email back from the rep today, I'll quote it here. I'm a little sad about the balancing part :(

"Dan,
Thanks for taking the time to send in your photos and information. We are very sorry to see that you have experienced this issue with your tire and we would like to send you a replacement tire. As for the other 3 tires, 200 grams is just over 7 ounces, which is within our weight specifications for tires under 33". Do you have any idea what would cause the other 3 to vibrate? Did you have the tires balanced according to the instructions that came with your tires? if you have photos of issues with the other 3 tires we would be happy to take a look at those as well. I will wait to hear back from you if you would like me to get a replacement tire shipped out to you, or if you have any questions."

...That means for tires OVER 33", the weight spec is even more, which is just hard to swallow. 7 ounces is almost half a pound of weight.

Yes, the rims are all straight as arrows and not one of them took more than 10 grams to balance bare. I think I'm gonna order some truck weights offline and throw some bb's in on top of that.

That's strange, mine didn't take much to balance. One weight each, not sure how much, except the worst one that we put on a rim that had some wobble to it from the factory. That kinda pissed me off but I needed it to drive on and the rest are dented and warped too now from wheeling so I don't really care anymore.

Mine were the ATs though, probably easier to balance.

ive seen new tires take more...

I, too, have encountered tires that have required a large amount of weight, and that's after spinning the tire on the rim. Just remember, just because it takes alot of weight doesn't mean that it's gonna ride rough. As long as it's balanced to zero, a tire requiring 2 ounces will ride just as well as one requiring 8 ounces. The road-force measurement will, however, make a difference.

Hmmm. Mtr's are heavy as SIN though with their ridiculous sidewalls. I definitely need to get some heavy truck weights though these sleek stick on ones feel very non-dense. If I were stacking them on a 15" wheel I think the caliper would take them all off.

New tire is on the way. They had no problem shipping it out and no mention of getting the old one back. Convenient for me a suppose. I'm gonna re-balance all 4 when it comes in on the 28th. I'll post up new pictures and numbers then.

New tire is on the way. They had no problem shipping it out and no mention of getting the old one back. Convenient for me a suppose. I'm gonna re-balance all 4 when it comes in on the 28th. I'll post up new pictures and numbers then.

:viking:That's pretty much the standard when it comes to treadwright. :viking:

Glad they're perpetuating their excellent customer service reputation!

NO they want the old one back. Trust me they want it. They want to be able to inspect it to see what failed. They also want it back to be sure it is still not used in some way. I bought 4 a few months ago and one had a side wall that was questionable. They sent a new one and requested the old one back. If you unsure just call them back and ask. They had me stick one of the shipping labels that it came with back one for sending it back.

I'm going to agree with those that said that that looks like a carcass failure not a retread failure. Only way it could be TW's fault is if they missed a hole in the tire and/or used a carcass that was obviously too worn out to retread. *shrug* I have no opinion on the balancing thing; don't have enough experience w/ truck tires to know if that's normal or not. I will say that the tire guy makes a world of difference, I have to take my company car to fleet approved shops and they never do as good a job on balancing as the people that work on my personal stuff.

Lol why would I call them and ask if they wanted it back? It's been well over a month since I got the new tire, and the old one was thrown out weeks ago. They didn't say a word.

On the balancing note, the new tire I received required CONSIDERABLY less weight than the others to balance. 10g on the inside, 30 on the outside. Whereas some of the others were well over 200g's. I'm due for a service in a few hundred miles, when I put it in the air I'll rip all the old weights off and rebalance everything.

Back