• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Treadwright Buyers: BEWARE. Pics inside...

DanMan,.. If the tires were that far out of round on the balance machine, did you mention that to the customer? With modern technology, any radial tire that's out of round is pretty much guaranteed defective, isn't it? Not trying to be a dick, just curious. I'm not a tire tec., but if they don't spin true on a straight rim, doesn't that indicate a problem?

what does "force march" and "Static balance" mean?
I think that was supposed to read "force match"

Static balancing is where a wheel/rim combo is placed on a spindle with a bubble level, and weights are added to center the bubble. Nothing moving during balancing, hence "static" balance.

Dynamic balancing is done by spinning the tire ad measuring the actual rotational balance. You not only add weight where needed on the rim, but also on the inside and outside bead.

Pretty sure force matching involves finding the heaviest side on the tire, and aligning it with the lightest part of the rim. this would allow for the lightest possible weights to get the tire in balance.

Road force balancing: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=109& It's pretty much a commercial for Tire Rack, but read the last 3 paragraphs.

You'd be AMAZED at how many tires spin out of round brand new. Michelin pilot sports, pirrelli's, potenza's, I've seen them all. 99 percent of them are perfect once they're on the car, but of course there's gonna be some that are defective. There's no way to judge by eye. Offroad and SUV tires are even worse cuz they ALL wiggle to some degree on the balancer, but again most aren't a problem. In the past year I've don't just shy of 1000 tires, and I can only remember 3 that had to be given back to parts for another. I figured since these are stupid big, cheap, and recycled, it was just how they were.

I'm not bad mouthing the company at all. Am I pissed I got a bad tire? Hell yea. But I'll definitely give treadwright the chance to make it right. I did TONS of research on these before I hit the bullet. And yes I did read tons of people saying "I've never heard of anyone having problems blah blah". Well, not so in my case.

Last edited:
No way to tell at this point, but I after force matching and roadforcing it did go down to 180. I'm gonna talk to them when I call and see what they say about the other 3 as well.

can you post the date code of these tires? the BFG original date code shouldnt be but maybe a few years old. even a new tire with a 6 year old date code will probably fail quickly. tires not only have a road life, but a shelf life too. you may have gotten some old carcusses.

Looks like belts coming apart not cap coming off. Been running a set of Treadwrights for 2 years with no problems. Kid just put a set on his 85 so well watch and see how Treadwright handles this.

I never had trouble out of mine. :dunno: Sucks you got a defective one but they will take care of you if you call them.

just the one tire? I'd contact them and bet they'd make it right.

they seem like a very decent company and everyone I've known that has them loves them. two people that had issues (not as big as yours) were taken care of right away.
xwhatever.

I am still running my treadwrights I originally got for my 96 XJ. They're chunked and slashed to shit from hitting my fenders, rocks, logs, etc and still run just fine.

Hell, I've heard of treadwright just sending another tire when it is reported that you got a bad one, without pics or you sending it back. Doesn't always happen but I've heard of it. They stand behind their product.

I ran some for years without issues. Contact them before you get too upset. I have never heard of them not making an issue right. They have great customer service.

Similar thing happened to a buddy of mine...looked sorta like yours, then a few days later, looked like this

315.jpg

they did replace it with no hassle though so their customer service seems to be pretty good

They don't do this anymore.Lazy people work now.
yeah when i used to work at a firestone shop,, if the wheel was too wacky out we would try to reseat it instead adding a ton of weights all over it. and we always inspected the insides of the tires and rims before mounting ......but that was years ago

I work at sullivan tire. Me personally, if it calls for a ton of weight I will try and get it lower usually just by breaking down the tire and spinning it on the rim.

Back