• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission stuck in engine

Is replaceing the input bearing something he could do himself? Or would that have to be done at a transmission shop?

The bearing I'm talking about is the input shaft bearing in the transmission. How much movement is alright to have? The movement he has is before the transmission is installed.

Is replaceing the input bearing something he could do himself? Or would that have to be done at a transmission shop?

I don't have a firm answer on how much play is too much. 1/8" might be okay. If its not making noise, I'd be tempted to leave it alone. The bearing isn't that difficult to replace, but you will have to split the case to get it out. How much damage did the pilot do to the end of the input shaft? That might be an issue as well.

he hasn't reinstalled the transmission yet, the new clutch will be in tommorow so he is going to be doing it tommorow. Hopefully it won't make any noise. The input shaft is fine the pilot bearing was made out of what look liked brass and he was able to remove all of it with a razorblade and some emery cloth.

I don't remember how much play was in the shaft itself but I would say if it's not leaking fluid it's ok. The shaft is going to be held in position by the pilot bearing, that's what it's for. The only thing I would be worried about is the seal leaking and contaminating the clutch plate.

The seal doesn't look like it has ever leaked so I'm guessing it will be fine. Putting the clutch in this afternoon will let you guys know how it turns out.

The input shaft doesn't have to be leaking for the bearing to be bad. The only way to tell is to install it and if you hear "the grumble" then you know what's up(it's more painful than a chalkboard screech--esp when you know it all has to come out again). One of these days I'll get around to changing the IS bearing in my spare 2wd ax15.

I don't remember how much play was in the shaft itself but I would say if it's not leaking fluid it's ok. The shaft is going to be held in position by the pilot bearing, that's what it's for. The only thing I would be worried about is the seal leaking and contaminating the clutch plate.
:soapbox::smootch:
1/8 inch SIDE PLAY does not sound like too much play with tranny out and front bearing cover still installed.
Yes the pilot bearing is part of the equation.
If the tranny was fully engaged, the inut shaft bearing and the intermediate shaft needle bearings should be OK.
You'd have to dissassemble to check the needle bearings.
Isn't there a spec for front shaft end play (in and out )??
:soapbox:
Most aluminum housing transmissions should have a preload so there is no end play whatsoever. It has to do with expansion rates of the steel shaft versus the aluminum housing.
:soapbox:
I'd say, now the guy is an expert at removing and replacing, so throw it back together and go riding
:woohoo::NAXJA:
Wait a minute, what's this
"...brass and he was able to remove all of it with a razorblade and some emery cloth..."
"..pilot bearing welded itself to the transmission input shaft..."
Was there brass on the input shaft or in the crankcase.
You need to replace the brass bushing.

Last edited:
Replaced the brass pilot bushing with a pilot bearing from the dealership. Installed the new cluch and everything is great. No noise from the pilot or the input shaft bearing. Also that annoying sounding throwout bearing is finally replaced. Thanks everyone for all you help throughout this project, I reallly apreciate it. Couldn't have done it without you guys.

Back