• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Questions

i dont know the difference, but i think the part number is on a tag on the right side of the trans. the numbers should match up, what year is the trans that is coming out

Well I dont know what year it is coming out of mine is a 90 however. Im pretty sure my tag would be covered in oil, so i dont know if i can match them up but which one are you thinking would be right?

I was going to get it from that phoenix place because a junkyard's wouldnt be remanned, plus i like their warranty. anyway i guess when i get it towed back to my house Ill creep around and look for that serial number because 800 or whatever isnt bad for a rebuilt AW4. Still if anyone has an idea off hand which one of those numbers it would be for a 90 Cherokee Pioneer, 4.0L, AW4 Tranny that'd be great.

wether you get a reman or a uesd one it should be fine as long as it is for the correct year, dont foret to get the lines flushed thoroughly to remove all the trash in them and the trans cooler

Do I for sure have a tranmission cooler? Just wondering but yeah I'm going to have a mechanic do it because i dont know much about trannys. I'll make sure he flushes the old fluid though but thanks for the tips. Also do you think the numbers on my tranny should tell which one of those I need to order? Thanks again.

where ever you get it from,they should be able to look it up for your application. if you dont have an external cooler, it is biult in to the radiator. insist on flushing the lines if they dont offer it, you dont want that old crap getting in the new trans and contaminating it, then you would be back where you are now, and have to buy another. if the new trans was contaminated with old trashed fluid, i doubt they would honor any warranty. good luck!

Alright man thanks a lot for the help.

just if anyone cares i found out which was the right automatic transmission from phoenix for my XJ. 725 bucks not too shabby for a rebuilt.

no 725+100+350 core+100 shipping mine back+150 for install+50 for external seals/fluid etc. Not too bad.

thanks again for your help guys.

jeepguy1990 said:
just if anyone cares i found out which was the right automatic transmission from phoenix for my XJ. 725 bucks not too shabby for a rebuilt.
Just a hunch, but I would say the one without the E ???

it was the one without the e yes good guess. Im not quite sure where to even start to adjust the tps. I set the peg on the tps so when the throttle goes down it pushes it but thats all i know. I dont have testers or anything so im not sure about that. If you know any easy way to do it without testers or anything if you would tell me thatd be great.
Thanks

I have bought a transmission from Phoenix Remanufactured Transmissions and I would advise against it. I am hoping that I was just a fluke.

While they were nice, they were extremely unorganized. They screwed up my order and didn't send it. Then tried to blame it on the shipping company. When I called the shipping company, they mentioned that there were NUMEROUS complaints against prt for this very thing.

I called company back, told them I "knew" what was going on and asked what they wanted to do, they agreed to ship me one out that day.(Which I appreciate)

So I figure, okay...no problem, everyone makes mistakes. I did have several calls in to them and shipping company proving they didn't even ship it in the first place, but they did eventually admit they fibbed, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt.....in hind sight I should have gotten the money back and rebuilt it myself, but was helping a friend out and trying to do it quickly for them with as few man hours as possible, as well as tying up a bay.

Then put transmission in adjust everything and it shifts very poorly. It wasn't a bad transmission, just shifted poorly, intermittant harsh shifts, raised and lowered shift points. Not a big deal, could change valve body and change a couple of the servo's.

But that's not the point....I bought it to PUT in and DRIVE, not PUT in and WORK on.

If they are under new management I would give them a try. If under same management, then would suggest passing on them.

That's my .02

Steve

jeepguy1990 said:
it was the one without the e yes good guess. Im not quite sure where to even start to adjust the tps. I set the peg on the tps so when the throttle goes down it pushes it but thats all i know. I dont have testers or anything so im not sure about that. If you know any easy way to do it without testers or anything if you would tell me thatd be great.
Thanks

you need a multimeter to set the tps or take it to the dealer.

sears sells decent meters for about $30-$40. great tool, no reason not to have one.

Ive got a multimeter but just not sure how to set it. Can someone help.

Back