• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission question

puttzer

NAXJA Member
I am in Minnesota and kid calls me and tells me his XJ in revving high and won't hardly move so don't know what's wrong with it. 98 4.0 4X4...... Question is can I make a trans out of a 93 work if the trans is bad? I have one in the garage out of a 93 4X4.

It's my understanding that it will work if you open The tail housing and swap the reluctor. I think the number of teeth for the magnetic pickup is the issue. Then swap all other bits with connectors so they match the harness.

The problem is that the fluid is just starting to thaw out after a Minnesota winter.

Actually, I would try a pint of lacquer thinner in it. Revving high tends to say that the clutch packs aren't engaging due to low pressure. Most times that is caused by old, hard, leaky seals. The thinner softens the seals. You have nothing to lose.

It might give you some time to deal with it on your schedule, not on its schedule.

I swapped a 96 into my 99. I'm not sure where the split is in the design, but in my case there were several differences. I had to pull the pump and swap the OD clutch/tone ring as my 99 had the tone ring while the 96 did not. I also had to drill out a casting hole for the magnetic pickup. Like Troy had mentioned, the tail housing also used a different reluctor and pickup. I had to drill and tap for an allen head set screw to hold the reluctor onto the output shaft. Luckily it is key'd so the allen simply holds it in place. I also had to swap the neutral safety switch because of different plugs.

Long story short, it sucked balls to do but it works.

Housing drilled:

Inside view:

Clutch pack... 99 on the right:

Tail shaft reluctor swapped on:

I am thinking of getting out in the morning...

Trent, I've got one from a '98'+ that I might trade ya for that '93. Gimme a call/text.

I am in Minnesota right know or I would go...... I would pay for the part and for you to pull it if you find a fuel tank skid plate, I won't know if I need a trans till I get home.
No XJ skids to be found. :(

Back