• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Fluid Leak

Canadian_bacon

NAXJA Forum User
I just had the engine on my 2001 XJ replaced a week ago. I have never had transmission problems in the past but now it has started to leak. It is leaking from the right side by the starter and the cooling lines with enough force to spray fluid all around and up as high as getting on the oil filter. I can also see droplets comming off the lowest point of the bellhousing and on the bottom of the pan. What could be causing this and do you think the mechanic who replaced my engine made a mistake or is it a coincidence that this all started right after the engine swap? Thanks for the help.

Odds are the trans cooler lines were disconnected during the engine swap. The QDs are infamous for leaking once they are taken apart. Take it back to the shop and have it looked at.

Quick Disconnects--trans lines, fuel lines, etc.

its also possible that they knicked a non-oem rubber hose repair on the original steel tube line. if it's a coincidence, its the long shot of the century.

start it up somewhere on the street (to avoid douching your own driveway), start it up, and peek under the passenger side of the vehicle, about mid way. you can see two lines that go into the trans. if its leaking at the QD, turn it off, find a leather glove and try to push the fitting in more, if it noticeably clicks in, youre good, if it doesnt want to seat, pull it out and clean the inside of the QD with a scotchbrite pad, and check the o-ring for damage/existance. if anythings messed up, autozone has the replacements in the help! isle.

or, as mr peters has said, take it back to the mechanic =)

Back