• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case sounds like it is going to fall out!

Sigh......

1994 4 liter re 3.5"lift t-case drop

So..
I rebuilt the transfer case wasn’t to hard but had to replace the shift fork and rear case.

Now I am having troubles with it slipping out of gear I get it adjusted perfectly and everything works as it should......30-50 miles later it comes out of gear and starts grinding.

I do this 3 times before I decide my linkage is slipping so I replace ALL the bushings and grommets in the linkage $55 at the dealership. and adjust it again, 50 miles later it dose the same thing!!!

a few things to note
1. Engine bolts sheared off and I fixed them
2. the transfer case shifts relatively easy by hand
3. if I put it in gear and disconnect the linkage it still grinds
4. if I follow the Service Manual for adjusting the linkage it works great for 30-50 miles

things replaced so far
1. t-case chain
2. all t-case bearings and seals
3. all linkage grommets and bushings
4. front u-joints (don't think this matters but still did it)

Any thoughts?????

When you did all of this work did you replace your engine and trans mounts? It sounds like your linkage is getting racked out of alignment from something, and I'll wager it's your engine/trans "shifting" around. All kinds of wierd things can happen when these two pieces start dancing.

I replaced mine with MORE poly units and haven't been a bit sorry.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

I did replace the trany mount.. I will go pick up new motor mounts today..

It broke AGAIN last night after 45 miles.......:(

I will keep you all posted thank you for the reply.

Back