• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans wont shift into gear after swap

Then you need to pull the transmission. Sounds like you found the problem, torque converter not seated in the transmission? (or worse).

It does have fluid? LOL

oh, it's not pumping? Yeah, you've got a problem at the front of the trans for sure then.

I'd almost put money on the pump being junk, it's driven by the two slots on the neck of the torque converter we were talking about. So either the torque converter isn't attached to the flexplate, or the flexplate isn't connected to the engine, or the torque converter isn't connected to the pump, or the pump is busted.

Since it's not making horrific noises, the flexplate is probably attached to everything correctly...

Don't forget tht even if you completely left the torque converter out, the tranny should still hold in park.

Sounds like you may have two problems.

For some reason it started holding park once it was pushed back into the garage. Trans is now out. Trying to figure out now if it is good or not. Would hate to reasseble only to have to take it apart again due to a bad trans

Problem has been found. When the torque converter was put in place it was not fully seated. It did take out the pump. A new transmission is in store.

I should say this was my first auto, ive never dealt with anything automatic wise. The only cars ive ever done transmission swaps in were stick. Luckily for me, aw4s are a dime a dozen. I will have one on tuesday. Meanwhile, add this to the list of live and learn

Problem has been found. When the torque converter was put in place it was not fully seated. It did take out the pump. A new transmission is in store.

I should say this was my first auto, ive never dealt with anything automatic wise. The only cars ive ever done transmission swaps in were stick. Luckily for me, aw4s are a dime a dozen. I will have one on tuesday. Meanwhile, add this to the list of live and learn

Well, that is a lesson learned for you, and many others have learned it the hard way too.

Hope it all comes together for you soon. Good luck.

Thanks! Im not worried, itll all come together. Its not a daily driver for me so its no biggie if it sits. Hopefully tuesday night itll be back together and mobile under its own power

If you aren't replacing the torque converter as well, check the torque converter neck very carefully for damage before installing it in the new trans.

It should seat to the point that the snout on the converter is well below (around 1/4" to 3/4" iirc, it's been too long since I did this) the surface of the bellhousing, use a straightedge across it to check. Make sure the converter doesn't slide out when lifting the trans into place.

Oh... dumb question, did you pull the pilot bearing and its bushing out of the crank bore before installing? I assume the PO installed one since he was doing a manual conversion.

I reinstalled the torque converter into the current trans and I see what you mean by how it sits down into the bellhousing. Wont make that mistake again.

The pilot bearing I left in place. It didnt impead the torque converter from sitting flush against the flex plate. Is there a reason it can not be left in place?

Some torque converters have an alignment plug on the snout that requires that the bearing be removed from the crank.

I reinstalled the torque converter into the current trans and I see what you mean by how it sits down into the bellhousing. Wont make that mistake again.

The pilot bearing I left in place. It didnt impead the torque converter from sitting flush against the flex plate. Is there a reason it can not be left in place?
That's odd, it should have. Mind taking some pics? One of the crank bore, one of the torque converter snout that goes toward the engine, if you can.

The pilot bearing may even have been part of your issue, it would have rammed the torque converter further into the trans than it was supposed to go. Was it at all difficult to get the bellhousing bolts tightened down fully?

This torque converter has a line up plug but I test fit it up against the flex plate before I ever bolted the trans up to check that the pilot bearing wouldnt interfere with it fitting

The WORST transmissions I have worked with for getting the torque converter fully seated have all been Chryslers.

At the dealership we kept a few sanitized 35 gallon drums so we could drop the transmissions in them to stand the transmissions straight up while we played with the torque converter to get it seated correctly in the pump.

I sent my B2500 van to the scrapyard Friday rather than do any work on its chryco 46RE.

The Aisin AW4 is a good slushbox, but the other recent chrysler-used autos... not so much.

Back