• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny cooler

atreyuBLUEXJ

NAXJA Forum User
anyone have a write up on a tranny cooler install? pics, what not?

i would think it would just be cut the lines and add in the cooler, reconnect, is it that easy? i wanna add a temp gauge too,(b&m)

any suggestions?

maybe I Just had bad luck but I Installed my tranny cooler behind the grill...not after 3 months It started leaking...I took It apart to Inspect and there was a hole in the cores, looked like a rock hit It, I returned It to Jeg's and got my money back, It was the B&M version, I also didnt notice a very big difference at all in the cooling process....

I put in a 33kGVW cooler in front of the condensor coil. Measured 17x13x1.5" sort of big for an XJ. I disconnected the tranny from the radiator all together.
I installed a filter with a temp port built in, under the hood. Summit racing, has a couple of vendor types. (If you have removed the airbox, lots of room for this there)
Gauge went in the console behing the t-case shifter (01 XJ).
Works like a champ. Tranny has only hit 180 twice when I was running fire roads in 4 low and drive ie slipping the converter clutch a lot. The engine runs cooler as well, with the radiator not having to absorb the tranny heat.

No pics, sorry, but very easy install, less than 2 hours after I decided where to put everything. One note, hard mount the cooler the the front clip as opposed to just poking the plastic strips through the condensor/radiator. With all the vibrations from off roading, a solid mount up front will make it last longer.

Derik

those are some good writeups. In response to what it says at the bottom about using compression fittings, that works too. The first tranny cooler that I installed I did this because I was afraid that just putting a hose over the hard line and clamping it wouldn't be good enough. I bought a bunch of barb fittings with compression fittings on the other end and made the whole thing much more work and more expensive than it needed to be. It works either way. Now that I've done it a few times, on my newest jeep and on a few friends jeeps, I know that just throwing it on a clean straight part of the hard line and clamping it holds much better than the crappy way that the leaky stock lines connect.

Back