• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny cooler woes

I am with Prom3theus on the issue of resistance. The wire size and length should not be an issue,...I would not think so. However, I still think :--

1) The gage and the sender/s are not compatible.
2) The wiring is not correct.
3) There is a grounding issue at the gage.
4) The switch (to switch between the two sending units) is bad.
5) The sending units themselves need to be grounded properly.

It is good to hear that the AW4 is good just the messenger is misrepresenting the truth.

I too have two senders, one gage and a switch to switch between the senders. While it appears the reading is accurate (enough) they are slow to respond when switched i:e the will linger about 20 degrees lower and come up to the actual temperature after a couple of minutes. Mostly, I just leave the switch to display the temperature coming out of the AW4.

I'm using two B&M senders. The gauge is grounded to the stud at the steering column/cowl. The switch could be bad, i will change that tomorrow. The sending units are grounded checked with an ohm meter.

My gauge will lag between the two senders as well when switching, I found that to be odd also.

I'm going over the whole circuit tomorrow and simplify it if i have to.

Fixed!

Somewhere along the loom to the senders the two sender wires melted into each other. That was causing the gauge to read both senders at once. I isolated the outlet side sender wire and only left the return side hooked up. It runs right at 200. Not bad considering we reached 65 today. With the fan on the cooler, it drops back to 180 except on long pulls.

I will have to pull more wires for both senders when I get a chance but it will work the way it is for now.

Thanks for every ones help with this.

Awesome, glad you figured it out. Still, for a big cooler, I think it's a bit high. But that 200 may be a little less in reality due to the resistance you have in all the wiring and button.

Awesome, glad you figured it out. Still, for a big cooler, I think it's a bit high. But that 200 may be a little less in reality due to the resistance you have in all the wiring and button.

I downsized the cooler. I'm using the smallest Hayden cooler with a 600cfm fan on it. It cools good while moving but not so good at idle. If it continues to run that hot I will put one of my bigger coolers on it. I have a huge collection of coolers now LOL!

Back