• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trails and Trail Leaders.

Mike in NJ said:
The Onion Creek trail, although scenic as it runs below Fischer Towers and the Top of the World rim, is not much more than a dirt road with several water crossings. (and yes, it does have that familiar aroma at the narrows!) Not much of a draw.
The permit for EJS allows them to take the creek bed through the slot canyon that the Onion Creek Road climbs up above. Imagine driving through a narrow, deep, serpentine slot, filled from side to side with the creek. The ranch in Fisher Valley uses the narrows to drive in tractors and such that don't fit on the shelf road. It would still be a stocker trail, but I think it would be the most amazingly scenic drive in the Moab area. That part is thouroghly marked with "no route" signs, but you can get a permit to drive it.

Handlebars said:
The permit for EJS allows them to take the creek bed through the slot canyon that the Onion Creek Road climbs up above.

I had no idea that the creek was allowable by permit, Alex - saw some ATV's running down through there while I was on the road and was annoyed - thought it was some yahoos being jerks and tearing up the ground!

If a permit can be obtained, then I'd agree it would be a very worthwhile diversion, and since Clint has re-confirmed my remembrance of RG Hill conditions - careful thought would have to be given to the type of total run that should be considered.

I've always liked that 128 area towards Dewey Bridge, not the h/c challenges of other Moab areas, but a damn nice region to ride for a change of pace.

(Damn! All this TALK about Moab is driving me nuts - I really, really need to get back there and just can't do it in 2006! I know, I could stop reading about Fallfest, but then what Forum do I look at here - Whinefest '06 on the Member Boards?:shocked: )

MG

Handlebars said:
The permit for EJS allows them to take the creek bed through the slot canyon that the Onion Creek Road climbs up above. Imagine driving through a narrow, deep, serpentine slot, filled from side to side with the creek. The ranch in Fisher Valley uses the narrows to drive in tractors and such that don't fit on the shelf road. It would still be a stocker trail, but I think it would be the most amazingly scenic drive in the Moab area. That part is thouroghly marked with "no route" signs, but you can get a permit to drive it.
Are you sure it still is? I thought this was one of the things that got nixed this year.

Anyway. We need two trails a day. One easy and one difficult.

Mike in NJ said:
I had no idea that the creek was allowable by permit, Alex - saw some ATV's running down through there while I was on the road and was annoyed - thought it was some yahoos being jerks and tearing up the ground!
It was some yahoos- as far as I know, EJS and the Fisher Valley ranch are the only ones permitted to drive down there. The narrows get poached all of the time despite the signs.

(Damn! All this TALK about Moab is driving me nuts - I really, really need to get back there and just can't do it in 2006! I know, I could stop reading about Fallfest, but then what Forum do I look at here - Whinefest '06 on the Member Boards?:shocked:)

MG

How about a fix? :wierd:
orig.jpg

Handlebars said:
It was some yahoos- as far as I know, EJS and the Fisher Valley ranch are the only ones permitted to drive down there. The narrows get poached all of the time despite the signs.

orig.jpg

That looks like our Kane Creek run this year (backed up 2-3 hours waiting for medi-vac).

main.php

DrMoab said:
Are you sure it still is? I thought this was one of the things that got nixed this year.

I'm not sure if it got taken away, I searched all of the old threads on the EJS permit renewal and found nothing. If we get the ok to do the Narrows, I will lead it!

Are we only doing 2 trails a day this year, instead of the 3~4 in previous Fall Flings?

From my buddies wifes, girlfriends son's brother in law's dad. NO! THE NARROWS ARE NOT permitted! EJS was allowed a permit to drive through.so Maybe we can aquire a permit from the BLM. but otherwise it's a NO GO!

Handlebars said:

orig.jpg
What front bumper is this???????

I'd like to run The Spike while I'm down this time.

passxj said:
<evilgrin> I'll be your trail leader:hang: for that one if they let me...:D

Geepfreak said:
passxj said:
<evilgrin> I'll be your trail leader:hang: for that one if they let me...:D
It will take a lot longer to tow him off of the spike than Kane Creek or AF Canyon:D

DrMoab said:

Only two? Haven't we had three runs per day in other years? (Easy. Moderate. And "Areyououtofyourfrikkin'mind???"
Or was that just for the 20th anniversary fling?

DrMoab said:
After the troubles I went through last year finding leaders I thought maybe this year it would be easier to find the leaders first.
WayneXJ said:
I could lead a smaller group on Pritchett one of the days.
DrMoab said:
Pritchett won't be a small group. It is one of the most popular trails. If you want to lead it count on a bigger group.
WayneXJ said:
Count me out then.

How about catering to the wishes of a willing trail leader? Limit the group size, have a early and a late departure on the same day with the group split, maybe run it 2 or 3 different days. Please just don't chase off your volunteers. :patriot:

Andy Steiner said:
Only two? Haven't we had three runs per day in other years? (Easy. Moderate. And "Areyououtofyourfrikkin'mind???"
Or was that just for the 20th anniversary fling?

Actually Andy that post by Ryan was a mistake - for some reason he was thinking of their small Moab run when he posted that. Things will be like they always are. In fact it is my understanding that hte trail schedules will be announced soon!

Back