• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer

I am looking to wire up for towing. I have the hitch installed I just need to wire the lights. Is there a plug and play unit that does both style of plugs? Also, what about a box I can attach to the hitch for that clean look?

there's a kit that's almost plug and play for a 4flat connector. the xj's require a 5/4 wire adaptor to make all the lights work out. you basically pull the tail lights out and splice the wires. it's real easy. the kit is available at any parts store.

As for "both style of plugs", are you talking a 7 wire plug? if so why on earth would you want to tow anything that's big enuf to require a 7 wire?

well, regardless, I don't know of anything to easily make the connections for a 7 wire.

Actually, nearly anything that I'd tow behind an XJ should have a full 7 wire connector. 4.0l XJs with AW4 transmissions are rated up to 5k lbs., and I'd want electric brakes on anything over 2k lbs.

I have a 4 wire tail light adapter convertor in my 94, it's a t-tap style that connects to the wiring harness behind the driver's side trim panel under the spare tire. I also ran a dedicated ground, 12v, and brake connections (using 12/3 SO cord,) from under the hood to the rear. I used a 4wire pigtail, along with the 3 other connections for a full 7 wire connection.

Back