• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer talk. Help me spend money.

I replaced the deck on my trailer after I bought it and helped my buddy do it a few years later after he'd bought it from me. Its ready for a new deck again. I wouldn't exactly call it cheap to do and its a pain in the ass. Maybe if he'd used Thompson's or something he wouldn't have had to replace it so soon and it also wouldn't be ready to replace again. The wood decks too me aren't worth the hassle for the supposed extra traction, and I've about busted my arse plenty of times on our wood deck trailers at work when chaining down in the winter.

Conversely I will say the wood decks on our gooseneck has only been replaced once, and that was after 9 years. I don't think we've ever had to replace the deck on either our of our trailers from the Freightliner and we've had those for 15+ years. One is a step deck and the other is a low boy. We do put linseed oil on them every few months though. Its $80-$100 for a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff. We go through one each time we do it, but that's for all 3 trailers.

I'd also pass on the CL one in a heartbeat.

I'd pay MAYBE $1500 for that.

As well, steel decks are nice, but I've known several who regretted getting them.

They're loud as ****, and if something starts going on it, they're a biatch to fix (not like replacing boards).

And as Mike pointed out, slippery as hell when wet :laugh:

I replaced the deck on my trailer after I bought it and helped my buddy do it a few years later after he'd bought it from me. Its ready for a new deck again. I wouldn't exactly call it cheap to do and its a pain in the ass. Maybe if he'd used Thompson's or something he wouldn't have had to replace it so soon and it also wouldn't be ready to replace again. The wood decks too me aren't worth the hassle for the supposed extra traction, and I've about busted my arse plenty of times on our wood deck trailers at work when chaining down in the winter.

Conversely I will say the wood decks on our gooseneck has only been replaced once, and that was after 9 years. I don't think we've ever had to replace the deck on either our of our trailers from the Freightliner and we've had those for 15+ years. One is a step deck and the other is a low boy. We do put linseed oil on them every few months though. Its $80-$100 for a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff. We go through one each time we do it, but that's for all 3 trailers.

Yeah, someone isn't taking care of their deck very well then. I've have my PJ trailer for 4ish years now, and the deck is still great. I just put some Sherwin Williams stain on it (same stuff we're going to be using on our fence), and it should easily last another 5 years.

Hell, with the right treatment and such, I've seen decks that still look great after 15 years. Just like a fence, if taken care of, can last a whiiiiile :laugh:

My trailer has its original wood from 2003. We even got it at a discount because the wood had sun damage originally. It looks like crap, but it serves its intended purpose.

I agree with Justin. Go for the car trailer, wood deck.

Thank you guys for your advice!
This trailer has the perfect dimensions for the side by side and I snagged it up for $900. The guy used it for his SxS and promised it towed great.
I will run it for a few years and upgrade to real nice car hauler down the road.
I need to find a spare tire and I want to load my toolbox on the trailer instead of the truck bed to give faster access to tow straps and tools.
Perhaps stain the wood as well.

Last edited:
Drive up with side. Side for holiday weekend and north sand hills above Walden. Good time!

If you go to a tractor supply or similar they'll have wheels/tires for that thing all mounted and ready to go. I used a large square u-bolt to secure the spare to the tongue on my SxS trailer. Then just looped a bike lock through it for piece of mind.

Back