• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer talk. Help me spend money.

Elguapo

NAXJA Forum User
Alright muchachos.
I have 3 toys to be towed and I'd like your help in deciding. I've never owned a trailer and I'm not sure what to expect. Currently I rent from Uhual and I've used a car and utility trailer. Both uhual trailers weigh about 2k unloaded and were tandem.

The side by side will be towed at least 2 times a month. It will work perfect in a single axle utility trailer that weights 700lbs. Single axle.

I also have a couple cars that will be towed a handful of times a year. It's nice to have but not necessary since really the side by side will be used. I can rent a car trailer for that.

I'm leaning towards the utility trailer because I believe it will be easier to put on the ball, and to store. Also the lighter weight is attractive for when I sell my 454 tow truck. How will a light trailer tow compared to these big hoes I've been using?

However I hate to do things twice, and I know I wouldn't outgrow the car trailer. It feels like overkill but what am I not considering guys? What do you recommend. Thank you for the help!

Utility trailer $2100

Car trailer $3400

If you are going to put cars on a trailer, the double axle is the only way to go. It will be so much more stable. The way I look at it, go with the the trailer that will tow the biggest load you will possibly need. No way would I ever put a car on a single axle trailer, that's just scary.

Grab a car trailer. The side by side goes on it fine and if you go with friends, you may be able to get two of them on the trailer, or if they have ATV's or whatever. Nothing wrong with hauling a side by side on a big trailer.

Simply put, you'll get more use out of a car trailer. The utility is limited to when you use the side by side.

Why are you now looking at getting rid of the 454 dually???? :looney:

Alternatively I love the look of this trailer but 2100 lbs is heavy for something that can't tow a car to me.
I hear ya Troy, but it's also a big step up in price for me. Damn decisions. I'm trying to think long term/ who knows how long I'll have the 454. I do love that damn truck.

If you really don't want to do things twice, and want to keep the weight down, I would recommend an Aluma trailer. 600-1000 lbs less than a steel trailer with the same cargo capacity. Mine is 12 years old, on it's second set of tires but still looks good considering half its use has been to Winterfest on snowy salty roads.

I would get the car trailer, and get the steel deck too so you don't have to worry about the deck warping/rotting/breaking.

The aluminum trailer would be a good way to go if you can spring the cash. Another option (as long as the SxS will fit) is a lighter car trailer that just has the runners for the tires and not a full deck. An old neighbor had one and it was really nice behind my 1/2 ton.

Well part of what you need to look at it ball to tires on trailer. Tires to rear of trailer. Those come into play huge on how the trailer pulls and how well you're able to maneuver it.
Short trailers pull like shit. Seriously suck to pull. I'd rather have way too much trailer than too little trailer.

I have the Yami on the trailer to wheel after work. Getting out at 2 and working on the west side of the springs is amazing. Good to know Mike/ I may have to ball out and go with the steel trailer.
Damn I'm tired of going and dealing with uhual.

I would get the car trailer, and get the steel deck too so you don't have to worry about the deck warping/rotting/breaking.

The aluminum trailer would be a good way to go if you can spring the cash. Another option (as long as the SxS will fit) is a lighter car trailer that just has the runners for the tires and not a full deck. An old neighbor had one and it was really nice behind my 1/2 ton.

I know exactly what you mean. I haven't found any though that are lighter. I found one used and the dealer wanted 2k. It weighed 2500 god knows why

For reference I have an 'older' utility trailer.
Weighs 1595 empty. Has 3500 axles. And a beefy apron. I'll be raising the bed level and making more of a flatbed with a small raised shoulder.
You can find em for <1600 pretty regularly. Have to add brakes yourself but it's cheap.

And I disagree with the metal deck. Can get slick and sucky when covered in mud or snow. Or rain even. Loading stuff like side by side can take a minute if the deck isn't clear. Treated wood is cheap and easy to replace.

Alternatively I love the look of this trailer but 2100 lbs is heavy for something that can't tow a car to me.
I hear ya Troy, but it's also a big step up in price for me. Damn decisions. I'm trying to think long term/ who knows how long I'll have the 454. I do love that damn truck.

2x6 box tube frame and 2-5/16th coupler...lol...you can haul a car on it just like the car hauler you posted infact the 2x6 frame is going to be stouter than most 7k trailers .

2x6 box tube frame and 2-5/16th coupler...lol...you can haul a car on it just like the car hauler you posted infact the 2x6 frame is going to be stouter than most 7k trailers .

Unfortuently it is not wide enough for my camaro. 78" wide overall. Between the fenders it won't fit.

Unfortuently it is not wide enough for my camaro. 78" wide overall. Between the fenders it won't fit.

Looks like the doors would clear those fenders. Deck is high so looks like it anyway. Iirc the camaros are 73" wide? Deck is 92". Even at a foot foot fenders it's wide enough.

I agree -- that CL trailer looks like a winner for your needs. Cheap as the new utility, big enough and stout enough for your heavier hauling, dual axle. I'll echo that heavy, short, single axled trailers can be a bit of a ride to pull - I had to be very particular with the tongue weight even on the MJ trailer, which was comparatively light, even with the 450 lb nest on the top, or it danced all over the place (and was heavy enough to try and move the XJ when it danced).

I'm putting new (used) treated wood planks on the bottom of my utility trailer now -- I agree with Lopez on the cheap replacement/good traction argument.

Just buy a new car trailer...seriously.

Buy anything less, and you'll end up wishing you got more.

I drove to another state (KS I think it was) to pick up my PJ trailer. Even after accounting for diesel, I saved nearly $400 from the cheapest place in most of CO.

~$3100 out the door for an 18', 10k rated PJ trailer (5200lb. axles).

9.9/10 CL trailers aren't remotely worth it.

When was the last time the bearing were packed/changed?
How's the wiring on it?
How new/used are the tires?

And so on...

Hell, trailer tires are enough, that a worn set on a used trailer alone can make it worth going to a new one.

Anything over $2k, and it's worth going new. Unless it's been made by someone I know is reputable, I wouldn't even consider a homebuilt trailer either.

Back