• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trailer hitch receiver @ pick your part, etc

wgregt

NAXJA Forum User
Hey SoCal listers,

I'm in need of a trailer hitch receiver bar for my 88 XJ. I have the OEM one with the tongue and ball on it, but I need one with the 2" square receiver instead. Thought I'd post here in case any of you happen on one @ pick your part or any other boneyards. I hit pick your part's in OC once or twice a month and haven't seen one yet, but if you see one, and it's in good shape, let me know. Or heck....grab it if it's cheap and I'll meet up with you somewhere!

"Wilmington yards" being the AMC place in LA county at the train tracks?

Pull the bumper? The OEM hitch I have now just bolts right to the bumper spars, I think. Didn't know I'd have to pull the bumper off...

I got mine off without pulling the bumper.

TIP: If you have access to a portable impact wrench, use it. Those bolts are anything but fun.
OR... if you have access to a gym for 9 months before you actually try to remove the bolts you wont need the impact.... your choice HAHAHAH

I took a closer look at my hitch last night. It appears that the bent tongue and hitch ball are attached to the 2" square hitch bar (that runs the length of the bumper) by a few bolts. I've never seen this as a separate piece, so I'm wondering if I can just take this off and bolt up a new/used 2" square receiver in it's place?

Then again I've never seen JUST the square receiver for sale anywhere, but then I really haven't looked.

Anyone know if I can just swap these out, and keep the long cross bar bolted to the bumper? Who sells the 2" square receiver if so?

You can buy just the 2" receiver at Harbor Freight for about $20 bucks. The welding would probably need to be done by a certified welder for insurance reasons but I 'd just buy another hitch.

If you want to do any serious towing you should get a hitch that is properly rated and mounts to the frame rails and not to a bar behind the bumper.

Back