• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail Tools? What to Carry?

Beezil said:
do what I do.

carry nothing.

I used to carry an entire roll-aways worth of tools.

but since everyone else does the same thing anyway, and there are usually 100+ socket sets on trail, why should I?

Since I seem to be the free beer bitch, the least thing my loser friends can do is hock tools for me!

If I remember correctly this post is from the same person that pointed at MY spare tire when asked where his spare was.

I'm not loaning you anything. "Socket...I thought you brought one?" JohnJohn :moon:

:worship:
2xtreme said:
I am an eagle scout so I am probably a little "over prepared" but several things that I did not see mentioned above that I think are important (probably obviouse to alot of us, but should be mentioned).

Bring a friend (preferably in another truck)
Tow points front and back
Tow straps
a good jack
u-joints
spare oil, grease, brake fluid, gear oil, steering fluid
a full "mechanics" set of tools, metric
good spare tire

The rest of the list I would combine. I agree with trying to keep it simple and light, however I would rather error on the side of having too many tools than not enough.

Michael
:worship: eagle scouts rule!
- Dont forget a complete set of allen wrenches and a camera so you can do a write up on what happened for all to see!

JohnJohn said:
If I remember correctly this post is from the same person that pointed at MY spare tire when asked where his spare was.

I'm not loaning you anything. "Socket...I thought you brought one?" JohnJohn :moon:

:roflmao:

I was wondering who was gonna mention that. Remember the titanic xj that hydrolocked on the rubicon and shot the piston through the oil pan that we fixed with a piece of fender, welder, and right stuff!!

Kejtar said:
Something that is worth considering also is :
1. a can of "the right stuff" it's a silicone sealant that's so damn good I damn nearly broke in half a diff cover that was sealed with it (Thanks Rabbit :D)
2. some welding rods and jumper cables.

Last edited:
Rad hoses, belts, U joints and a few other odds and ends, that I carry but rarley if never use. I´ve stored in a plastic bag with a little talcum powder in there and sealed the bag. Put it in the rear side panels, not much room in there, but flexible or small stuff will fit. I put my jumpers and tow straps inside the spare tire, found a full hub cap, that holds it all together.
Gonna do the same with my XJ, I did with my YJ. Every time I use a tool, I add it too the list. Use my spare tools, to make an XJ only kit, surprising how much useless stuff you can carry around, that fits next to nothing on an XJ. Get shut of the never used (on an XJ) tools and you´d be surprised how much the kit/wieght shrinks.
Had a buddy we used to call Toolbox, he kept adding springs to his XJ, but it wasn´t getting any taller. :(

All I carry is basic hand tools and a socket set, recovery gear, jumper cables. Spare parts are parts I replaced as time goes on. I.E belts, hoses, nuts and bolts. Just keep to the basics and wheel with others, and more than likely you'll come up with a trail fix.

Hacksaw, tree triming saw, flat head axe, shovel, 100 ft extra cable, 2 snatch blocks, tree saver, and D rings. And most everything else!

PLUGS!!! as i found out this weekend one spare is not always enough

Beezil said:
do what I do.

carry nothing.

I used to carry an entire roll-aways worth of tools.

but since everyone else does the same thing anyway, and there are usually 100+ socket sets on trail, why should I?

Since I seem to be the free beer bitch, the least thing my loser friends can do is hock tools for me!

As long as you're hockin' the beer, I can hock tools.

For tools, I carry a metric and standard socket set, set of wrenches, pliers (assorted), assorted screw drives, vise grips (couple pair) and any special size sockets/wrenches that might be needed. (18/19mm, 1and1/18th in for example)
Have a mid sized parts container that has stuff left over from most mods, last week at Big Dogs one thing that came in handy was front u-joint retainer clips. One rig on the trail popped one out, I had a few and we had the guy rolling in 10 min.
Put a length of chain on your list too. Used mine every time out so far, from straping the axle to the frame to change a tire and reseat a bead, to strapping in a seperated steering box.
As to spare parts, depends on how far from camp you are running. I carried everything I had (axles, drive shaft, steering set up, welder battery, etc) at Raush Creek one time this year, and the damn XJ was so heavy it was an absolute pig. If I'm over an hour away from home plate I'll carry alot, if not I go light. If it's a short trip for the parts to recover the XJ, Go light.

My 2cents

I think all the suggestions are good but one of the most important things you can do is what is done before you leave. I'm not trying to change the thread, but it is always a good idea to check your rig out from front to rear top to bottom before you go out on any trip. Look for stress cracks or leaks, crank down on all those bolts you shook the crap out of the last time you where out. Preventative maintanence will eliminate most of your worries. As for for what I take? I gathered things as I encountered problems through the years. Now I have a pretty good selection of stuff to grab from in those, "hmm I don't think that feels or sounds right" times. See you all in Moab

Back