• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail Recovery Vehicle

As an appendage to my previous post:

I wanted to find out what other thought about my idea. That was all. Yes, some members went on a bobbed deuce tangent for a little while, but they were still adding to what my rig should be capable of. I am just a guy trying to get ideas. No more, no less. I wasn't asking for anything other then advice and ideas. Thanks again Art101, for your elegant response.

:party: TROLL OF THE WEEK AWARD:party:

ART101:gee:

sounds dumb...

I wanted to find out what other thought about my idea. That was all.

Thats all he gave you was his thoughts, granted he could have expanded a bit. Cant argue with someones perception.

In my opinion, any vehicle that is wheeled off the beaten path should be a 'full recovery vehicle'. Meaning, you should be able to fully recover YOUR vehicle in just about any situation. Its kind of hard to tell by your original post, but it sounds like you want to build a specialized tow vehicle for recovering other folks from offroad situations. I cant imagine the XJ being any further from the ideal vehicle for this kind of use, ie, relatively low powered engine, weak drivetrain, light weight, etc etc. its all relative of course. It would probably be a great recovery vehicle for samurai's.

If you just want build a very capable rig that has equipment that can get YOU out of most situations, your list is pretty darn good aside from the extra hi-lift (really?? One is scary enough) and the welder. That list is what 90% of the people I wheel with have on their vehicles.

just my opinion

Last edited:
@stumpXJ: The least he could have done was leave something creative. As far as getting my vehicle out, it will me able to to do that. As far as some special use tow vehicle, big NO. I will not be towing anything with the XJ. If you get stuck and are unable to get yourself out, I will help. If you are broke I will try to help you fix it. If you need more fluid then what you have on your own rig, I will help. I admit, the double high-lift is a bit excessive, but I'm hoping to be more of a mobile repair shop. I don't plan on replacing front ends on the trail, but helping you fix a busted driveshaft is do-able.

Back