• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TRACK BAR MOD

smokenxj

NAXJA Forum User
I am swapping my stock bar out for a RE bar that has a 5/8 hiem. Will i need to drill out the upper mounting hole? I plan to use a high misallignment spacer which will reduce the bolt size down to 1/2. What is the size of the upper mounts hole? It is snowing out and I am too lazy to go look. Advice???

Don't cheap out with a 1/2" bolt. Drill it out to 5/8. A single shear hiem is weak as it is, skimping out with a smaller bolt is downright dangerouse, on top of stupid.

The RE trackbar already comes with all of the spacers it needs.

The trackbar is only good for about 4.5-5" of lift though, if you plan on going any higher than that, get the RE Heavy Duty trackbar.

Thanks Cal!! I am running a 4.5 rough country lift so it should work good. Should I worry about that size of joint? Besides I bought it used on ebay. Whats the diff between the RE regular and the hevy duty?

The RE non heavy duty uses a 3/4" heim (5/8" after a spacer thats included) parallel to the ground, single shear (the bolt is only connected to the mount on one side). The heim uses up about half of its movement just to angle down towards the axle, so you can't droop very far without maxing it out.

The RE heavy duty trackbar uses an aftermarket mount at the frame end, and a superflex joint mounted perpendicular (spelling?) to the ground, so its travel is only used "forward" and "backwards" as the axle moves - it will not limit droop at all.

At ~6-6.5" of lift, you use up pretty much 100% of the RE non HD trackbar's travel without drooping at all, and start overstressing the heim when you droop.

If you got it used, I'd buy replacement parts for it, new rubber bushing, new heim joint, new spacers, new bolt, etc.

1x RE1684 (hardware)
1x RM13010 (heim)
1x RM42000 (lower rubber bushing)

Keep the ones you take off as trail spares. I broke that heim once, before I changed out to a stronger setup. That's not to say its particularly weak, I beat the snot out of my jeep in 2005 and didn't do as much upkeep as I should have.. I've been paying for it in 2006. ;)

-C

Back