• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar drivers side bolt just spinning

darwin

NAXJA Forum User
My trackbar is to the point where I don't want to drive it out of fear that the joint is going to fail... It has enough play that you can turn the wheel from 10-2 while the jeep is off and it won't move the wheels.

I got the lower passenger side out without much trouble, The pin in the castle nut was spun so both ends were against the walls of the bracket, but managed to finally get it out.

Now when I turn the nut, the entire bolt spins with it. Tried PB Blaster, nothing. I thought of trying to cut the bolt between the joint and the bracket, but was told the hardened steel will just eat my cut-off wheels and not to even attempt it.

I'm sort of at a loss. Can't weld a nut, can't cut it off... Any ideas?

I had the same problems a few years back. I was able to cut the nut off with out too much trouble. Also, another idea is to check around for a mobile welder or service company and see what they would charge you to torch it off. I know it is around $45-55 per hour on service calls around my area, but it might be worth it to you if all else fails. Try cutting through the nut on each side and beaking it in half to get it off. Just a few thoughts...

A good cutoff wheel will cut through that with no problem. Now if it was tool steel it would be different.

Does anyone know what the size of that bolt is, so I can find another nut to go on the new one...

I'm planning on cutting right where the fork is shoved in, in this picture:

05PickleFork01.jpg

Are you putting a new track bar in there?

Yeah I've got an entirely new trackbar. Just will replace the castle nut at the top.

have you tried to drive the pickle fork in to put downward pressure on the nut and then removing it?

In the past I have removed the axle side and pressed it down to put enough pressure on the other end to loosen.

I have had this happen many a time and was able to get the nut off by putting a bottle jack under the joint end. Jacking it up, forcing the stud firmly into the bracket, stopped it from spinning and the nut has always come right off.

I'm going to try jacking it up, then hitting it down with a hammer, then cutting it, then removing the whole mount.

I dont think you can remove the whole mount without removing the trackbar and some other stuff.

Back