• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tow rig advice

860653F6-DF2F-46C4-9F80-AE9B89CEF46F_zpscj7apmfj.jpg

:laugh:

early third gen dodge are starting to pop up in the 12-15k range
third gen quad cab are small compared to ford and chevy. IE not for adults

Where I work we have many 6.0l and 8.1l Suburbans. All have close to or well over 200k on them. all have 4l80e transmissions and no problems with the transmissions to date also. I have had two 6.0l motors out to repair broken exhaust manifold bolts and major oil leaks. Both had over 200k on them. While I had the heads off one with 230k I pulled the pistons and rods to take a look at things. Everything was in great shape! The motor on the inside looked as if it only had 50k on it. I put it all back the way it was and today it has right about 250k on it. I asked the owner when she was going to get another? She replied. When this one dies!

I'm not much a Chevy guy but very impressed with the LS motors.

Don't buy a f150, We have them also and they are junk!
I've been tossing around the idea of picking up a newer truck more and more lately. More so for the truck aspect, over it being a "tow rig." I gotta say the newer Chevy 2500's are enticing. However, I don't know if I could live with the endless flaming for driving a "gas truck" from the Cummings Boyz.

early third gen dodge are starting to pop up in the 12-15k range
third gen quad cab are small compared to ford and chevy. IE not for adults
This is the route I will be going later on this year.. 03-04 (not 04.5+) Laramie with leather.. Mmm.. I look forward to the upgrade:patriot:

I wish I had heated leather seats. Someday I'll get around to installing heating elements in the seat

And get an exhaust brake! Best mod I made!

Ya my king ranch has heated leather its nice when its freezing cold out
Still not sure if I f'ed myself trading my 99 7.3 6 speed for a 06 6.0 auto

Ya my king ranch has heated leather its nice when its freezing cold out
Still not sure if I f'ed myself trading my 99 7.3 6 speed for a 06 6.0 auto

Hard to say

But in the meantime.. You have a big upgrade in cabin comfort.. Those trucks are amazing inside

Other than a CTD, I would recommend a min of a 6.0L GM gasser. 4L80e is beef. Not sure what year they started, but some of the later ones have the 6L80e. Which is 2nd, only to the Allison trans.

jk, get a diesel if you tow a lot, if its once every 6 months get a chevy 1500/2500 gas

I agree but keep in mind

EDIT: Rough estimates

Gasser
12k miles a year, Devided by 12mpg @ $3.39/gal =$3390/Year
4-6mpg while towing

Diesel
12k miles a year, Divided by 20mpg @ $3.89/gal =$2334/Year
14-18 while towing

As far as diesels go we all have our ups and downs dodge,Chevy,ford.

But as far as a 98% DD and a 2% tow rig. I'm still going diesel.

Another point of view to add

From Gresham to TSF is 50 miles

With truck, camper full of gear, trailer and jeep.. I'm right around 17k pounds..

I average 13.5mpg with 17k pounds @ 70mph

That means, I'm driving from home to TSF with all the comforts of home (minus toilet) AND my jeep, for $15 each way.. 17k pounds going to TSF, for $15:loveu:

I'm looking forward to this summer:viking:

You diesel guys are crazy, I put a Cummins and an Allison in my Chevy and didnt get any better fuel milage.
Power stayed the same as well, I was so disappointed that I took it all out when I got home.

20140310_131456_zps347e8288.jpg

Well theres your problem. I think you installed it wrong.

Back