• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ground up DD/Trail Rig XJ build, need HELP!

Go for it. Just buy the thing and wheel it like it is and learn. Just because you build a rig doesn't mean you can drive it. Learn then build. You will be much happier and money ahead.

well some adjustments are going to have to be made because its not road worthy as is and i need it to be. Sway bar is off and I think that would help, and better gears, that may be all i need right away

I'm DD'ing mine 600 miles a week on curvy mountain highways without a front sway bar, spooled rear and 32's that are just as tall as most 33's on stock gears.

Quit being such a pussy.

LOL idk how people drive without sway bars... i've dont it a few times but the amount of interstate driving i do, I would die

also my DD/trailbeater has 300K and is 23 years old. As stated previously Low miles doesnt mean JACK... it just means everything needs replacing anyways because its 13 years old. Either way you are tearing into it why not pickup a cheap 500 dollar rig and put 5K in suspension, tires, wheels, and stroker?
heres my 800 dollar XJ.. stop being spoiled and buy one
536243_10151380297932957_1101139528_n.jpg

Last edited:
Low miles doesnt mean JACK... it just means everything needs replacing anyways because its 13 years old. Either way you are tearing into it why not pickup a cheap 500 dollar rig and put 5K in suspension, tires, wheels, and stroker?
heres my 800 dollar XJ.. stop being spoiled and buy one

What he said...

And I have been driving rock crawlers every day for ten years. I guess you just get use to it. My XJ isn't lifted and I still have the rear swaybar. So that makes a big difference. But my TJ didn't have any sway bars with 3" mid arm and 37's. Still I was fine. My philosophy is, if it's not stable enough for my to safely drive it on the street without the swaybar, it's not stable enough on the trail without on either. I am also well known for taking very off camber lines and rolling a lot.

Lol action you are a dick, I think I'd like to hang out with you. Like I said, I'm new to the game. I've owned a few wranglers but they've all been street queens, now that I'm older I'm trying to get legit with it.

I'm coming in humble, I know y'all know more about this than me, but I'm eager to learn

Hi there, like everyone is saying, buy something cheep, after all you are going to have to change most of the suspension, new tires, maybe a new stroker, how knows, it is all just for fun and learning, if I had the chance I would go for a 97 or 98 with at list 150k or something around that, and do a RE long arm 3.5” to 4.5” lift with very good shocks like fox, and Deavers leaf springs on the back, go with 32” tires, and beef up the axels, install lockers on both axels, a tire to tire steering system, and from there on test it to see how it works.

Xj’s are very versatile vehicles and you can spend a lot of cash on them, they are endless toys, it all matters on what you want it for.

Back