• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow hook options....

Yes, it bolts through the hook. Most sanctioning bodies do not allow hooks that are ONLY welded. Mine are both. The hooks and the plates are both steel so I don't know what you mean about them being different metals.

I could run just bolts, but I wanted them to be bullet proof. I have read stories of the bolts coming loose and the hook flying off. While that is user error, welding eliminates that.

Sorry for the slow response. While I know my hooks were properly welded, I felt it was an easy design change to make them completely bolt on to curb any concerns about the hooks integridy post welding. It does require you drill a hole in you frame now. Here's what you get with the new hooks. I'll get you some pictures of it installed later tonight.

IMG_6910_LRG.jpg

I built my own bc every one of the aftermarket brackets bend on sever angled pulls. I have yet see another bracket beffyer then mine.

164275DriverssideBracketMounted.jpg

I tested them pulling on an 18 wheeler and they did not budge. The are currently on an 88 to see if he can bend or break something. The Drivers side is also a stearing box brace too. I was going to check on getting some made to sell but unfortunatly there are some differences between the 84-86 and 87 and up frame rails that have ot be adressed. These were made for my 84 and gettign them on the 88 was a chore.....

Well first, the ones I posted are for the rear. Second, where the heck do you mount your bumper? It's illegal to drive in most places without a bumper.

I'll take pictures of my finstalled ront hooks which mount to eight bolts on the bottom of the frame rail. Mine have yet to budge as well and it's much less complicated and you get to keep your bumper and is compatible with most aftermarket ones.

there was a tube/plate bumper for the front. but they will mount the stock front bumper i just need to change a few things. These were test ones i built to see if they would actually hold up and not fold over......

Here's an installed pic of my unwelded rear tow hooks. It does require you drill one hole now, but it's easy to drill through that part of the frame. I also made the lower bracket into an L shape which ties into the rear bulkhead for more lateral reinforcement.

rhook2.jpg

Here's what goes inside the frame rail
rhook_inside.jpg

Trail Hunter...you've won me over now. so correct me if im wrong but does the full kit that you sell come with front hooks(2) and rear hooks(2) as well? how about the front...does it allow the use of the swaybar still? is it compatible with the factory bumper? please email me at [email protected] because i dont check the forums often...thanks

gtpolkus said:
Anybody know if there are tow hooks that don't involve mounting to the bumper bracket? Reason I ask is I have a smittybilt brush guard (I know, it was one of my worst purchases) and it mounts to the same bolts that are needed to mount tomken/rustys/ c4x4/stock OEM tow hook brackets. It doesn't appear that tow hook brackets and the brush guard will work together. I need front tow points, and I would like to keep the brush guard. Is there any brackets out there that mount along the bottom of the subframe rail? Has anybody run a brush guard and tow hooks together?

Boy i had the same question a wile back and my search this time around pulled up this thread. I first started by mounting the tow hooks on the sides of the brush guard where the brush guard is bolted to, then did some minor welding. Its still together but now im looking onto the draw-tite front hitch because its supposedly stronger and only costs $109.00

tgoff said:
Do the 4x4 trail hunters rear tow hooks cause any clearance problem with the rear bumper?
No. I have them, and although I haven't remounted my rear bumper yet, they don't get in the way. You need to remove the bumper brackets to install them, though. If you have a stock rear bumper, there shouldn't be a problem.

Back