• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque steer issues

Look. I understand what you're saying, and there was no demand on a quick answer. But I don't need any crybaby remarks. If you don't have an educated opinion, then there is no need to post a reply. Some of y'all need to grow up and not get so butt hurt. Deftwillp, rockclimber, do you have a different opinion to what my problem is? If not, your input simply is not needed.

Look. I understand what you're saying, and there was no demand on a quick answer. But I don't need any crybaby remarks. If you don't have an educated opinion, then there is no need to post a reply. Some of y'all need to grow up and not get so butt hurt. Deftwillp, rockclimber, do you have a different opinion to what my problem is? If not, your input simply is not needed.

GFY.

personally... i fail to see how you are experiencing torque steer on a rear wheel drive vehicle, typically its a problem with FWD and AWD vehicles.

but here ya go, possible causes and remedies... man, that was hard:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_steering

a lot of these guys have been here for years, and know what they are talking about. telling them how to use the internet isnt going to get you the answers you want.

personally... i fail to see how you are experiencing torque steer on a rear wheel drive vehicle, typically its a problem with FWD and AWD vehicles..

I'm experiencing torque steer right now on my rig with an old Detroit Locker in the rear. It isn't that uncommon.

These guys usually bend over backwards to help someone. They have also been doing this stuff longer than they can remember.

This is where it went south, you implied that guys trying to help you were idiots. I can vouch for rockclimber but not the other guys.

Yes. It is in 2wd. I guess this was the wrong forum to ask this question

What you described was bumpsteer, but you also said it pulled to the right on both acceleration and de-acceleration. You sure you don't have a busted centering pin on the rear axle or something? Jeep not tracking straight?

Last edited:
The jeep tracks straight. I'm sorry if I gave the wrong information, I'd have to go back and check. The jeep pulls to the left under acceleration, and right under deceleration. If I push the clutch in and let it coast on a level road, it will track 100% straight. I'm not saying the length of the trac bar isn't the issue, because I'm no suspension expert, but In theory that would cause it to pull the opposite way. As in pull to the right under acceleration and vice versa. I think. What do you think?

Edit: you caught what I didn't. I did write the wing info on the previous post.

Last edited:
Can you jack up the front of the jeep to simulate the body rising and watch what the steering does? It's all about the arc that the track bar travels in relation to the drag link.

The track bar arc should pull the axle to the drivers side as it rises, and if you're holding the wheel still, the distance from the pitman arm to the passenger knuckle should decrease which should make it steer to the right.

Don't discount tires that aren't the same diameter in the rear or a shifting rear axle, bad leaf spring bushings, etc.

Thanks. I'll thoroughly inspect the rear this weekend. Like you said, the trac bar would make it pull to the right under acceleration and that's just not the case

All these questions and no opinions? C'mon guys

I guess this was the wrong forum to ask this question

Your lousy input is not needed. I got my proper answer, thanks anyways

Lol bunch of little girls in here

Nobody told them how to use the internet.

Yeah, you're a jackass.

Slight front toe out and/or lack of positive caster will cause the front end to have very light steering. Any minor right/left alignment differences will cause an exaggerated directional drift. Make sure you have at least 1/8" toe in and 5-8 degrees of positive caster. Try to compare your true chassis and axle center lines with a laser if you can. Your front and rear track may be a little off. The rear will tend to follow the front when coasting but force a different track under lift or dive.

Check your blinker fluid, if it isn't at the same level on each side in the back it can cause weight transfer when you use the blinker... you are using the blinkers, right?

Edit: it may also be caused by an uptight nut behind the wheel

What do your drivers side control arms/ bushings look like? If they are loose and the drivers side tire moves backwards under acceleration and forward under braking, but the passenger side does not, it may feel like torque steer. The new tighter steering may just be amplifying an issue that you already had but didn't notice yet.

Back