• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tool for removing lug nut locks?

gradon

NAXJA Forum User
I'm working on a coworkers YJ and she lost the lug nut lock key/adapter. NTB wants $40 to take them off. Does Lowes or HD have tool similar to an extractor that'll tighten up on the round (~3/4-1") outside of the lug lock while loosening it(I swear I've seen an infomercial on a socket that'll do it)? I've already tried a pipe wrench and a vice grip btw--the wheels have a concave face that makes those tools impossible to get on squarely. Any recommendations?

get a thin walled socket, beat it on there good, remove lock, and discard.

yes they also make special sockets, but when i worked at discount the above procedure is what we would use

no just use a vice, hammer, and punch to remove lock from socket, then repeat.

We just welded on regular lug nuts to the lock nuts and pulled them off that way.

I just got back from HD--that gatorsocket is too small and won't do well on a round object. Might have to use the weld option. The lock looks solid--are you saying that there's a regular lug under there somewhere razdrvr(or on ones you've encountered)?

gradon said:
I The lock looks solid--are you saying that there's a regular lug under there somewhere razdrvr(or on ones you've encountered)?
no that was in response to your ? to me about buying multiple sockets, you can get the lock out of the socket by going through the back of the socket, (where the square drive is) and punch the lock out of the socket

on a side note on older porches the wheel lock was a little lock that went onto a special lug nut underneath, this isnt the case with yours, its just a neat little design i thought

Is the lock nut totally round or does it have notches in it for the key?

I had some Gorilla locking lug nuts on my TJ which have the notches in themand a 17mm socket gently tapped over top of them worked perfectly. Just hit it with the impact and they popped right off and slid out of the socket afterwards.

Kind of made them pointless to have on there once I discovered that.....lol.

swbooking said:
We just welded on regular lug nuts to the lock nuts and pulled them off that way.
thats the way i always did it too. tack weld a regular lugnut to it and take it off like normal.

They have a thing called a nut splitter, I have used it to break rusted lug nuts, u-bolt nuts, etc. I think you can get them at sears. I haven't used them on the particular application you are asking about, but i think they will work.

Begster said:
They have a thing called a nut splitter, I have used it to break rusted lug nuts, u-bolt nuts, etc. I think you can get them at sears. I haven't used them on the particular application you are asking about, but i think they will work.

I remember hearing a nut splitter being recommended for fubar'd lug nuts so I venture to think it would work.

Napa sells a tool specifically for removing wheel locks. It's a socket that you hammer on... Works pretty good.

A nut splitter may work if you have enough room to get it on.

Welding a nut on is probably the quickest and easiest option if you have access to a welder.

I've found that a short piece of 3/4" copper pipe hammered onto the wheel lock (it'll conform to it and be a really tight fit) and loosened with a pipe wrench works well. The copper is soft enough that it won't screw up the locking lugs (in case you decide to reuse them) and cheap enough to just toss afterwards or cash in for scrap :D--------Hans

wck403.jpg

http://matcotools.com/Catalog/toolcatalog.jsp?cattype=T&cat=2424&page=3&#42894

Back