• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tom woods/ advance adapter. or RE

Porc SYE -$169.99
RE hack n tap - 189.95

I think you could stand to save twenty bucks and get an HD sye. Ive heard they are the same casting number as the AA HD kit. For a d-shaft I would go to a local shop. You can't beat someone building the shaft for youre specific rig while they have the rig to look at. Plus you can get one made out of a junkyard shaft for way cheaper.

Last edited:
CW said:
Pork SYE -$169.99
RE hack n tap - 189.95

I think you could stand to save twenty bucks and get an HD sye. Ive heard they are the same casting number as the AA HD kit. For a d-shaft I would go to a local shop. You can't beat someone building the shaft for youre specific rig while they have the rig to look at. Plus you can get one made out of a junkyard shaft for way cheaper.

many of us dont have a local DS shop my LOCAL oen is only 145 miles away, One that I would trust atleast. so it si a 32 spline output on the porc unit?

Yup, the PORC is 32-spline.

BIGWOODY said:
I run a hack n tap and have for years with an RE shaft (never failed in 4 years) I carry a new in the box RE shaft as a spare that I have never used. As for the strenght of the hack n tap...you be the judge..MY MJ is running 38.5s/hp60/9"/aw4/stroker motor. This video was shot this past weekend at Tellico on helicopter pad, all but two other trucks winched(about 10 total) My hackn tap didn't break, but later in the weekend I did ring off the front output shaft on the 231 (luckly I carry a spare t-case in the tow rig) again you be the judge....http://www.fototime.com/users/[email protected]/More beating

as for installing it, a monkey could do it with good hand tools. I get tired of reading what people "think"...so just watch..

So have you had the 38.5 with the 60\9 combo and stroker for 4 years ?
I'm not sure how the video of you spinning your wheels with no traction is showing the strength of a hack-n-tap. If you just now busted the front output, The rear might not be far behind.
Looking at the 32 spline and stock shaft side by side should be all info one needs when thinking of going to a sye.

David Taylor said:
So have you had the 38.5 with the 60\9 combo and stroker for 4 years ?
I'm not sure how the video of you spinning your wheels with no traction is showing the strength of a hack-n-tap. If you just now busted the front output, The rear might not be far behind.
Looking at the 32 spline and stock shaft side by side should be all info one needs when thinking of going to a sye.
ran the a hp44 and 9" for 3 years with 38's..point is I have beaten on the thing and it hasn't broken. Several CTMs, several warn shafts in the hp44..never a driveshaft or hack n tap. After the front output breaking, I'm ordering an Atlas this week. Was just trying to illustrate most people don't abuse their junk quite like that and I've yet to hear anyone with a hack n tap speak up and show pics of where and how its been broken.I don't doubt a 32 spline HD shaft is good, but I paid about $90 shipped for the hack n tap years ago when the HD shafts were more expensive and not as plentiful. Greg

Nightside21 said:
As a quick insight. The Tom Woods kit is more than a hack-n-tap. Because of the way the original slip yoke works, the splines don't go all the way back to edge of the rear of the t-case. Because of this there is usually about 1 inch ?? between the rear of the t-case and where the yoke attaches. If you take as a rough guess that it's an inch from the rear bearing to the the rear of the case, you've just increased the lever arm on that bearing from 1 to 2 inches (ie: you just doubled the load on that bearing and the mainshaft at that point).

Tom Woods actually goes in a resplines the shaft farther back with a milling machine which allows him to cut the shaft even closer to the rear of the case. This helps keep the lever arm down close to the original length. I believe he also will repress a better rear bearing for you. I cam across this information while researching an SYE kit for the 242, but I believe it also applies to his older kit for the 231. But then, if you have the 231, you're better off going with the HD kit anyways.

Good info, and I didn't know there were any other evergreen guys on here. Have you had the pleasure of meeting a annoying little 17 year old in a black 2wd MJ??? That kid will drive you nuts...............:twak:

Last edited:
Back