• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To stroker or not to stroker?

A603XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everybody I have a 98 xj that is in need of a new power plant. Ive heard a lot of good things about using a stroker as long as you get a good one. Now that being said this is my daily and sometimes trail rig so I'm not wanting to go super crazy with a motor so it's still somewhat friendly to the gas tank. I'm just wondering what others opinions are on a stroker in a jeep being used for what I do and what is the best company to buy a new motor from.

I personally built what was probably the first in Colorado. I have probably close to 180k on it. It is great to drive and has better gas mileage.

Having said that, I have seen several strokers built and die horrible deaths. My opinion is that most people did not realize you have to really pay attention to the changes you do to the motor and the resultant impact on the computer. The computers (renix included) do not have enough ability to adjust for change in compression, injectors, cam, etc. and the engine ends up running way too rich or lean and that leads to failure. I recommend adding a WEGO (wide band exhaust analyzer) on any stroker, and monitoring the mixture. WEGO's weren't affordable when I built mine in around 2000, so I spent a fair amount of time on the dyno. (dyno=cost).

Remember, the longer the stroke, the lower your top rpm limit should be.

I consider my stroker the best upgrade I have done.

Talk to Russ Pottenger at Bishop Buehl Racing Engines.

He's probably the best stroker builder around, and he's a good friend to Naxja.

Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
Work (626) 967-1000
Fax (626) 967-7836
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email [email protected]

I've run 4 strokers, 3 of them from him. Super reliable, crazy good power.

Not sure that I agree with the post above about needing to lower RPM, just need to make sure everything is built correctly.

My post was based on physics, but for this discussion, I have seen lots of people build strokers and start constantly pushing 5k rpms. You cam has a lot to do with the this. I use a cam maximized for low end torque. I find it drives great on the road and wheels like a dream. It starts to degrade above 4k rpm.

I've been thrashing my 4.6l for over 8 years and >80K. I will build another one in the future--I've been sitting on Eagle 6.150s for years. I recommend using custom forged +.060" pistons on 6.125" rods instead of the shorter 4.2l rods and overbore 4.0 pistons. X2 on using Russ' expertise.

If I had the choice between stroking and turbo. I would have gone turbo.
But I stroked my motor.
She runs good. Just wish I had more power.
Turbo stroker build in the future

Back