• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TnT y-link installed with HP44 front

Paul S said:
The FT kit worked quite well, why the change?

Paul

He didn't like the loss of ground clearance by mounting the arm under the frame rail.

-Mike

CAmountwslider.jpg

Paul S said:
The FT kit worked quite well, why the change?

Paul

I'm addicted to tinkering... :)

Besides that - I wanted the added ground clearance, the beefy skidplate (my stock one was trashed as was my crossmember), and my turning radius back (my tires don't hit my LCA's anymore). Was it worth the money - that's debateable, but I will be selling the old stuff to help offset the cost so I feel I can justify it somewhat. No denying that the FT kit worked well, but more than once at JV I got hung up on the brackets.

Well, I was able to get it up on the forklift today and check all of the clearances. I'm a little concerned with how close the driver's side UCA bracket gets to the pinion, but it clears. I'll just keep an eye on it. Bob (Rockyacht) nailed it - the UCA bracket needs to be raised and the LCA bracket needs to be inboard a bit and the problem would be solved.

Here are a few pics. Yes, my shocks are unbolted and new ones will be ordered tomorrow.

pinion.jpg

p-sideflex.jpg

passinair.jpg

driversinair.jpg

get that thing on the trail tell us how the two kits compair. (besides clearance.)

just looking over your pics, what do you think about extending the drivers side UCA bracked back so it is helping resist bending of the arm in the bent area.

David Taylor said:
I see you lost the old front bumper :thumbup:

Yes, sir! I don't know what I was thinking with that other one...

bj-666 said:
just looking over your pics, what do you think about extending the drivers side UCA bracked back so it is helping resist bending of the arm in the bent area

I can't move the UCA bracket back any further on the axle end because the control arm is as short as it can go. I don't see the angle on the arm as a weak point or problem.

I don't know how much it will affect your clearance, but I definitely recommend getting some limiting straps. Otherwise you will most likely be shock limiting.

This is an easy way to do it. I just bought mine shorter than the fully extended length of my shock:
IMG_6802.jpg

Capt. Nemo said:
I can't move the UCA bracket back any further on the axle end because the control arm is as short as it can go. I don't see the angle on the arm as a weak point or problem.

I ment the connection between the UCA and the LCA at the bend in the LCA. and not to move the bracket but to just lengthen it so it supports the bend in the LCA.

xjnation said:
I moved the mounting points on the upper arms taller about 2" and the loer mounts in about 1/2"

picture.JPG

The problem with this set up is that you have now moved all the torsional control stress to the just the UCA. With the LCA mounts in the stock position, the LCA bushings share the torsional load with the UCA bushings, as the moment is between the two CA mounting points. In your setup, the axle just rotates about the LCA bushing and taxes the smaller UCA bushings that much more.

I went through so many bushings on my old radius arm set up, I can't imagine accelerating the wear even more by placing that much more stress on those puny UCA bushings.........

the centerline of the lca is only 1/2" higher than stock. and the upper mount is around 2" higher and about 3/4" farther back....The jeep in question now has several trips to cali and around AZ on it and about 500 trail miles.......the only problems we have run into is the used front axle assembly had a bad hub and arb seal......and of course the normal tighten stuff down after you run....... about 5000 miles and all bushings are in perfect condition......no adverse wear

bj-666 said:
I ment the connection between the UCA and the LCA at the bend in the LCA. and not to move the bracket but to just lengthen it so it supports the bend in the LCA.

I suppose I could, but I wouldn't know where to weld what to actually help strengthen the bend. It's pretty strong as is :)

I'll be ordering shocks and limiting straps on Friday - similar to Fatwreck's set-up. As Paul mentioned, it will help with the clearance issues, as well as keep my brake lines from pulling off the body.

Back