• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ wheel bearing on an XJ?

sumofatguy

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone,

I have a 2001 XJ with ~5" of lift or so. The wheel bearing are shot on the front D30, and I know some point in the future I'd like to do the Clayton High Steer kit (WJ brake upgrade). With this in mind, I (somewhat stupidly) bought TJ wheel bearings - ha597449, thinking that I could install them, and when I have enough money or the Canadian dollar gets better I would buy the high steer kit and not have to throw out my newish XJ wheel bearings.

Today, I went to install the TJ bearings and found out there's more of a difference between them and the XJ bearing than just the flange height.

My question is: can I simply space the TJ bearing out from the knuckle until I buy the whole kit, or will this not work?
Something like this? http://www.northridge4x4.com/jks-xj-steering-knuckle-flange-spacer

Thanks

Last edited:
The low/hi pinion doesn't correlate to the change in hub bearings either as a point of clarification. I've got a 99 hi pinion with the newer style hubs and brakes. I suppose it's possible that the previous owner swapped them both at the same time but I've always seen the cutoff for that hardware listed as year 99.5

When the axle was installed in the Jeep factory, as far as anybody can prove, it had the unit hubs as described, low pinion vs hi pinion. Since then, any type of axle swapping, and/or parts changing may have occurred.

What does that mean? I thought it was well documented that somewhere in 99, that year model still have the hi pinion but also have the newer hubs and brakes.

99.5 and up use the newer style wheel bearing and rotor.

The 99.5 I grabbed my high pinion 30 from had the same wheel bearings and rotors as my 2000. They were definitely original given the amount of work it took to get them off.

Back