• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ vs. XJ - Need Some Ammunition...

hoytinak said:
everytime my buddy with a TJ takes his doors and top off i'm like "aawww wook at the wittle jeep with the top off, that's sooo cute!" he get pissed but it's still funny

Just stop the damn talk and show em. what it will do

Well, for it is worth, my 3 year old son calls both of my XJ'S jeeps, but when he looks at all the CJ'S, all he has to say about them is "truck", he hacked off one guy driving a red ( why is it, most of these toys are red?) tj by saying "toy truck" while we were driving in the red river gourge in my 2door XJ.
Kids just say the darnest things :laugh3:

Just tell him his "little Jeep is sooooo cute. It'll make a really great XJ when it grows up and it's nuts drop".

I about spit my lunch all over the monitor screen on THAT one

Well, i'm in the middle. I have a 99 TJ on 6" and 35's and an 01 XJ Limited on 4.5" and 32's. Here's a simple break down: Street Ride-XJ, Travel-XJ, DD-XJ, Storage-XJ, Flex-TJ, More difficult trails (more $ to fix)-TJ. Overall, i'm more pleased with my XJ as a DD, but for the real fun, i have to say drop the top and cruise the TJ :)

kid4lyf said:
Just tell him his "little Jeep is sooooo cute. It'll make a really great XJ when it grows up and it's nuts drop".

Amen.

tell him when you need a rear end you can go to the local pick and pull for $100.00...

When he needs a rear end for his TJ I got one for $750.00. TJ's are much more expensive to repair. I did the cat and sensor on my XJ for $150.00. My wrangler that I sold a year ago...I got a buddy deal and still paid $380.00.

Laugh at his repair bills.

Alright, you said he lifted it and put some big tires on it. My guess is that he hasn't regeared yet. Use that to your advantage and go wheeling with him. Blow him away off the line of every street light on the way; he'll just be chugging along behind you, cursing his high gears. Then kill him on the trails. It might not hurt to remind him that once you totally thrash your XJ, you can pick up another one for the price of one of his rear axles.... :D

xjnation said:
So what is wrong with driving a grocery getter? ont argue go show. The best thing you can do is take it uot with your frined in the rigs and school him.

picture.JPG

Don't forget the fact that xj's CAN carry more groceries!

McFly said:
Something like 80% of XJs are.... automatic. :)

This is actually a disadvantage. Made it durn near impossible to find a good 2 door five speed. The heck with it- got me a 2 door automatic- lucky a swap to a MAN tranny is easy.

XJs are far less prone to rolling than the TJs. Ran the Rubicon once with a variety of SWB Jeeps. They all had 35 inch tires. I had 32s. They worried about me making it. I didn't get stuck once and I took the same trails (although I picked my own lines). They worried about rolling- matter of fact we had three rollovers that weekend- one CJ8 and both Toyota Forunners. With the ladder framed vehicles, the frames act like a spring when they twist up as they aren't very resistant to torsional loads and makes the rig unstable. This isn't a problem with the unibody Jeeps.

Grocery Getter? You betcha! I like having groceries on a trail run

Wranglers - too much sport, not enough utility

I haven't read through this entire thread but saw the original post.

I'd tell your buddy to grow a f-ing pair and grow up. Ford vs. Chev, Square vs. Round headlights, Japanese vs. American - it's all bullshit from people blowing their own horn because no one else will.

If you were in a TJ and he was in an XJ he'd take the same position.

XJ's and TJ's both have tremendous strengths and weaknesses. We have unibodies and have to cut the crap out of fenders to fit decent tires but have storage space, flex from coils and stability from leafs, a wheelbase that is closer to the ultimate all-around off road wheelbase= somewhere between an XJ and a Toyota. No that is not up for debate, that is fact. Tj's have frames and big wheel wells, they have short wheelbases which are good and bad at times. If the TJ wheelbase was perfect, why would the Unlimiteds be so popular? Why are people stretching their wheelbases out?

It's all preference and when it comes right down to it, doesn't mean a damn thing. Drive the wheels off of what you have and you can joke about what others have, but if you take brand loyalty or model loyalty seriously enough to get upset about it - you've got issues.

(Oh, and don't forget to spray expanding foam in his tailpipe)

McFly said:
This was a great thread. :)
You come out of hiding for that? :D

I went wheeling with another XJ and a YJ. The YJ was really capable. Thing did great. He had 33s and a SOA lift using stock springs. The other XJ had ARBs front and rear, 3-4" of lift and 32s. He did real good too. Mine is in the sig. None of us had any trouble. We caught up to a group with a TJ, a Rubi, and a YJ. The YJ had the same lift my friend originally had. SUA with stiff skyjackers and 33s. He had all sorts of trouble. They were baggin on him pretty hard because he was always needing a tug. There was a mini-waterfall that we watched them all go up. Except their YJ. He tried and tried and couldn't make it. The Rubi hit a couple snags but made it. The TJ had to take a second try. Their YJ got outta the way and the other XJ went up first with no trouble. I followed him and didn't have any trouble either. And then just to show off for the TJs who were makin fun of him and the other YJ for having square headlights and leafs, my buddy picked the hardest line, climbing the largest part of the rock and putting him in the worst position possible at the spot, and crawled right over it. They all shut up after watching 3 "fake" Jeeps walk over what they had to try for. It all comes down to intelligent mods and driver skill.

11997.jpg

Prepmech said:
Buy a sawzall!

If he braggs that he can take his top off- cut your top off.

If he braggs that he has larger wheel well openings- cut your fenders.

If he braggs that he has a tighter turning radius- cut one of his tie-rods!

Just make sure you take lots of pictures.

haha that made me laugh out loud, thank you i am having a shitty day.

Back