• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time to get things moving

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
So now that I've got the VLLS training some and out of the way it's time to start getting some things done.

First.

Steve, we need to get the bank stuff set up. If you can find a credit union in your area and give me a time that works best for you I'll try to make that work. The 14th might be good. I've got a minor surgery on the 11th but I think I'll be mobile by Saturday.

Second.

Fat Bobs. Soon as I'm done with this post I'm shooting them an email. I think we need to push it to September. I'd like to have plenty of time to push this event and make it a winner. How would you guys feel about making this our main chapter event instead of fall fling? Not that we wouldn't still do fall fling but use the power of national to promote us and use our raffle items at this event instead of Moab. Last year we had 20ish rigs show up in Moab. I think we could easily have three to four times that at this show. We would bring in more money.

Third.

Runs for the year. Let's nail this down. Also M&G's. We didn't do one in Jan, the Feb run got cancelled and we are into March. Let's get a location, time and date nailed for both the M&G and april run.

Any other items you guys wanna discuss?

Third.

I have been looking at BACKROADS AND BYWAYS OF UTAH to get some ideas. There is a loop/figure-8 around the Silver Island mountains which may be a good April run. Saturday April 18th? Break the pattern in May and perhaps do a shooting session at Ryan's favorite spot? Two possibilities for June would be Vernal and do a run up around Red Fleet Reservoir, or perhaps explore out by the House Range, and in particular, Notch Peak area. With August, a Uintas trip on the west side, which would allow the eastern Utah people to meet us halfway. I like Fat Bob's in September. October would still be the Fall Fling in Moab.

Just a heads up. Starting next week my jeep is going down for a month or two. I'm converting it to a 5 speed and installing a new motor along with changing the whole engine harness to get rid of those damn pre cats. It will probably be down through April. If I can get away long enough to go on Aprils ride it might be as a passenger.

I will be out of town May 14-20th. I'm going to Overland Expo in flagstaff then playing tour guide for a couple of off-road trailer manufacturers through southern Utah. If we do a shooting day (which I love the idea of) it will have to be not at that time. Unless you go without me. For what it's worth I think we could do a shooting day and a M&G on the same day.

I like fat bobs but I think our main event should always be the fall fling. Giveaways are not an issue. Our people don't show up to moab for free stuff, that's just a bonus. The FF is our signature event. Nothing outside of that will change it. I think the run in vernal should happen. I also think a run in sand hollow HAS TO HAPPEN THIS YEAR. Maybe SH in June and vernal in July or August.

I disagree about Fall Fling. I think the only way you'll get it to be a big event again is to give away another jeep. People that are in our chapter now plain and simply do...not...care...

Last year we gave away 2-3k in raffle items and made less than $700. That's pathetic.

We need step back a bit and look at where our chapter sits right now. We have zero member involvement. We are not seeing my increase in new members. We are effectively a dead chapter. If we hold Fall Fling without working on bringing in some new blood it will fail. I promise you.

If we are going to succeed as a viable "club" we need to work on membership. The only way to do that is to entice people to join. The best way to entice people to do anything is offer them free stuff. I've talked to the guys at U4WDA. They are behind this idea 100%. They want to use their power to help us out. They will even give us a hand with a raffle but they won't do it in Moab. They want to see it here locally. If we could host a great event locally. Use our money and raffle power here then the chances of a better turnout in Moab is greater.

I feel the same way about Sand Hollow. I'd be willing to wager $20 that with the condition our chapter is in at this moment we wouldn't get 10 rigs to show up.

This is what I'd like to do. Keep Moab on the colander for October but scale it back. No big dinner. No raffle. Maybe do a Friday night bbq or cookout.

Pick a run for April and June that logistically are smaller and easier to host. Maybe the run Steve suggested around Silver Island. I've been out there. It's a cool place. June might be a great time for a Vernal run. It's not mid summer. Not too hot and it's close to the mountains if we need to escape the heat.

I think Sand Hollow would be a great winter run. You wouldn't catch me down there between May and October for all the money in the world. Too EFFIN hot!!! There is always the possibility of tagging on with U4's run there in Jan to. It's a if deals with a great raffle and we wouldn't have to organize anything. Let them do all the work.

I really think this year needs to be about repairing our member base. We need to catch local, non Naxja member interest, show them we do cool shit and work on building our reputation back. Then if it works and we get some new fresh faces, guys with enthusiasm and drive in, then change our focus to bigger and better runs.

The only problem I see is....if the IC does not do fall fling then it'll probably go away. National don't want it that's why I took it over for the IC. And the April run should be somewhere close due to Easter and people do things so funds will be low for some.

And I agree we need to rebuild and show the large XJ community Utah has that we can do cool shit often .

With that said, what do you guys think about getting business cards back? I can get 500 glossy cards for 30 bucks right now. I know a few have expressed Interest in the past but we couldn't ever find anyone to do them for a decent price.

Derek I never said anything about not doing Fall Fling. I fully intend to still plan the run. I just want to move the raffle and use our MG&E money to the Fat Bobs show so we can try to bring some new blood in.

Wow I must be brain dead today, I just re-read your post and it read differently than I read it the first time :)

Ok let's try this again. I do think fall fling needs to do away with the BIG raffle. Not enough attendance in off yrs. Using that for the fat bobs event could be a good thing, cause you know giveaways attract people. But I don't think it should be our main event, at east not yet. I'd like to see how the turnout is for the event. I remember the first mepco events that had about 20 people there, later when they became teraflex it grew to about 50, then one year it just exploded. But it took a few yrs for that to happen. If this event explodes then I'd say make it the main event.

Derek: How long is the turn-around time on the cards and what do you need as far as a layout? Should I give you examples from the last set and see if those can be duplicated, or do we want to redesign the card?

Derek and Ryan, I agree on the big raffle effort if the event at Fat Bob's happens. The Fall Fling is not where is should be.

Finally, for an April run would April 25th be a better date? That gives you both another week to get a rig ready.

I know this sounds selfish but I really want to go to Vernal and I'm not sure I'll have my jeep done by then. I'd rather do it in June when I know the jeep will be done.

Re: Re: Time to get things moving

Derek: How long is the turn-around time on the cards and what do you need as far as a layout? Should I give you examples from the last set and see if those can be duplicated, or do we want to redesign the card?

Derek and Ryan, I agree on the big raffle effort if the event at Fat Bob's happens. The Fall Fling is not where is should be.

Finally, for an April run would April 25th be a better date? That gives you both another week to get a rig ready.

Turn around d time is roughly a week I was told. And unless you guys want to redesign the cards I can just give him one of the old ones and it can be duplicated.

I think Fat Bob's is a good idea for a large event. I think you need something local to get people to show up. People are hesitant to show up somewhere for a trip with people they do not know.

Putting my back surgeries aside I would like to start getting out again but when funds are limited and kids are involved I can see where people want to do something new besides Moab. I like it there and just the other day my wife was saying how she would like to go back but also that she would like to see things she had not seen before.
There are a lot of people out there that do not know that this chapter exists. Something local could spark some involvement.

Back