• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ticking.

I'm with Jon on this. Sounds nasty like a piston. For your info, Jon has been a professional mechanic for many years and builds some wicked engines. I would pull the pan and do an inspection before you end up stranded on the side of the road.

A ride in Jon's MJ could litterally give you whiplash.

Sounds like a plan. Good Luck

Assuming it is a nasty piston as suggested, what's the proper fix ha. I have a very similar sound and just looking into what my future may hold.

Well, depending on if it is caught before the cylinder bore gets fubar'd, you can ream down the ring land at the top of the cylinder, then hone and replace the piston if you are cheap (aka broke). The best way is a rebuild ($$$).

The question really is, why did it happen. Overheating, over reving, oil starvation, wrong piston side clearance are probably the most common.

Look, locating sounds in the engine compartment is hard.

There are numerous methods.

A long screwdriver held against different areas with your ear to the handle--if the engine is running rough enough this will give a you a headache.

A long piece of broom handle/wooden dowel held against the engine--same headache.

A mechanic's stethoscope--excellent diagnostic tool, with the disadvantage that it will tend to pick up resonant sounds.

Cheap ass trick--buy some vinyl tubing, stick one end in an ear, and then move the other end around the engine until you can locate the general area of the noise. Once narrowed down use the stethoscope to isolate the sound. A variation of this is to buy a longer piece of vinyl tubing for your mechanics stethoscope and just pull the metal tube piece off the end and use that vinyl tube as your initial locator--this has the added advantage for old farts like me that are hard of hearing.

There's something mounted up near the firewall on the very right side near the hood hinge. I don't what it's called but it does tick rather loudly when you first start the Jeep and then goes away. I have an 2001 and I thought I had an engine problem too, but it's just that. I've talked to other XJ owners and it's normal. On the earlier models it's better insulated so you can't hear it as loudly.

my 89 does it, too, just louder. i've gone 5k miles since it started with no change. i wouldn't worry too hard about it. just try to know where you can get another motor easily just in case...

There's something mounted up near the firewall on the very right side near the hood hinge. I don't what it's called but it does tick rather loudly when you first start the Jeep and then goes away. I have an 2001 and I thought I had an engine problem too, but it's just that. I've talked to other XJ owners and it's normal. On the earlier models it's better insulated so you can't hear it as loudly.

EVAP purge valve doing its job.

my 89 does it, too, just louder. i've gone 5k miles since it started with no change. i wouldn't worry too hard about it. just try to know where you can get another motor easily just in case...

If your tick is from the EVAP purge valve, on the EGR equipped XJs, it will be on the driver's side fenderell, it is a combo EVAP purge and EGR solenoid.

Since JJacobs said he doesn't want me to tear into my engine based on a sound-byte (I can't blame him...I wouldn't want to be in that position), I'm going to bring it to the Dodge Stealership and ask them what they think it sounds like. Unfortunately I don't know any reputable shops in my area...so it shouldn't cost anythinbg for them to make some sort of guess.

Since JJacobs said he doesn't want me to tear into my engine based on a sound-byte (I can't blame him...I wouldn't want to be in that position), I'm going to bring it to the Dodge Stealership and ask them what they think it sounds like. Unfortunately I don't know any reputable shops in my area...so it shouldn't cost anythinbg for them to make some sort of guess.

Dealership shop rate x one hour = your bill (and their analysis may not be right).

Good luck.

sounds EXACTLY like my '91 4.0. Multiple mechanics have told me wristpin, but my "tick" is not present at startup, only once its warm. It has sounded like that since i got it 65,000 miles ago. No power/performance loss. Does the tick become more subtle once it's warm or disappear completely? These engines are tanks.

That's the thing, you can't really get charged for a solid diagnosis without someone tearing the engine down. Try this, cruise up to the back of the Jeep dealer. Might be a couple techs taking a smoke break, just ask one of 'em to take a listen. Dealer techs aren't all out to rape and pillage, there's plenty of helpful ones.

Sorry for the thread resurrection. I just wanted to see if you were able to diagnose and or fix the problem yet? My engine sounds almost exactly the same and I'd like to know what your issue was, if you ever found it.

Thanks
-s

I've been out of here for a while, but it's the opinion of three different mechanic friends of mine (all ASE certified) that it is infact a wrist pin. I'm not too worried about it...especially it's still running very strong with even 235k miles on it.

I would be worried about it. What will happen is that the lose wrist pin will eventually fracture the piston sending pieces of the piston into the pan. You will then have a piston wrist pin attached to a rod being flung around in the cylinder. That will score the cylinder and/or just crack through the cylinder into the water jacket. That is a worse case scenario though and when the time comes it may just crack a piston just enough to allow noticeable blow by before it disintegrates.

Back