• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Those who have a 4.5 lift

Ok hope this kind of helps some, I'm close to 6 inches of lift, t/c drop , angle shimmed the rear axle to get a good angle on the driveshaft.Still using stock driveshaft . Have had no issues with motor mounts. Also running 33 inch tires,with no vibrateions. and no sye. and it's my daily driver

But it's like I read before xj's are like crackerjacks , you never know what your going to get

My 96 needed an SYE at about 4.5-5" of lift in the rear. Real bad vibes from 25-50 and then minor up to about 70-ish. I went with a Rubicon Express Hack and Tap. Yes, it's not the best one, but it was only $99 plus driveshaft. Total, including shipping, it was around $400. It's been fine ever since, got it through DPG.

Running 33's on my '89 with 4.5" lift for over 3 years now. No t.c. drop and no s.y.e. I just put on the lift one day and started to drive it with no problems. I go offroad a lot but nothing too extreme and have had no problems.

Running 33's on my '89 with 4.5" lift for over 3 years now. No t.c. drop and no s.y.e. I just put on the lift one day and started to drive it with no problems. I go offroad a lot but nothing too extreme and have had no problems.

And you have a different set up than the OP....

Everything changes after 96'

I had moderate vibes at speeds over 25mph on my 98 with 4.5" so I went with a RE Hack N' Tap for a year and a half with a stock front DS and I scored a D44 which I installed at the same time and have wheeled it with no issues. Mind you I live in Florida so it is considerably less stress than rock wheelin'.

I just recently installed Novak Adapters Mega short SYE and my new drive shaft measures 37" from yoke center to yoke center and the SYE is super stout. IF I had the money to do the true SYE in the beginning I would have but the hack n tap served me without issue for many, many miles.

Many people don't have any issues with the pre 96 NP231's even with 4"-5" of lift but the newer style seem to be vibe prone as low as 2" of lift. at the very least I would do a hack n tap with a junk yard front shaft. You could get away for $150 or so with new u-joints and not have to worry about anything for a long time.

Got a 98 on a 4.5 RC lift, came with a TC drop. Installed that and thats about it. No issues with vibes and the driveshaft is fine. So far.....knock on wood

When i lifted mine i replaced the trans. Tcase, and Motor from a 96 2 door
the drive shaft was from the 2 door as well.
I have no SYE and little to no vibrations.

2dr or 4dr does not matter, they are both the same length.

Well the shafts looked different, instead on the shaft going into the tail shaft of the Tcase, It stuck out I had never seen this before.
Im sure there the same length,
It was just weird to see it not go into the Tcase.

Well the shafts looked different, instead on the shaft going into the tail shaft of the Tcase, It stuck out I had never seen this before.
Im sure there the same length,
It was just weird to see it not go into the Tcase.

thats because the 96 and up transfercase were redesigned.

4dr and 2dr vehicles are the same length.

i have a 94 with no fibes at 3in of lift and im gonna have 4in in the back when i replace the old saggy ones with new HD ones and hopefully i wont have any problems with the extra inch in the back but if i do i think im just gonna make a spacer up real fast for temperary use...gonna go up to 5-6in of lift here before to long and im just gonna buy the sye when i get the rest of my lift and use another stock front ds as my rear...no one that posted on here has a 94 so i just wanted to say what may be missed

Most of the peeps here run Advanced Adapters SYE and Tom Woods D/S.

I bought mine from here:
http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/ad...or-drive-shaft-p-115.html?manufacturers_id=12

Hmmmm, lucky you, they are on sale for $30 off.....

MuddButt, or anyone else; why the Advanced Adapters? Tom Woods and others sell a super short sye. I realize that this is probably more for wranglers, but wouldn't this give better driveline angles on a xj too? I am asking not suggesting.
I have been a guy who dropped my tc and have been fine. However with going up in lift it is time to rip off the bandaid and do what is best for my jeep. I believe it is 4wd and suv who recently said that "a sye should be done on any jeep for trail prep." Even though I don't have vibes on my '01 I don't want my driveshaft to fall out on the trail.
Let me know what you guys think on my question, I will be ordering my sye this week and after having a bad experience elsewhere will probably order straight from Tom Woods.
BS01

'98, 4.0L, auto, 242. About 5" in the back, 4.5" up front. Little to no vibes that I notice at any speed. No SYE, no t-case drop. Just 4 degree shims.

MuddButt, or anyone else; why the Advanced Adapters? Tom Woods and others sell a super short sye. I realize that this is probably more for wranglers, but wouldn't this give better driveline angles on a xj too? I am asking not suggesting.
I have been a guy who dropped my tc and have been fine. However with going up in lift it is time to rip off the bandaid and do what is best for my jeep. I believe it is 4wd and suv who recently said that "a sye should be done on any jeep for trail prep." Even though I don't have vibes on my '01 I don't want my driveshaft to fall out on the trail.
Let me know what you guys think on my question, I will be ordering my sye this week and after having a bad experience elsewhere will probably order straight from Tom Woods.
BS01
theres more to it then just vibs. if your out on the trail and you brake your rear axle shaft and need to remove the rear dirve line. with the slip yoke you will loose most of your fluid out the housing with the sye you can drive out in fwd

I agree, that is why I am replacing the tail shaft even though I have no vibes. My question is related to what MUDDBUTT said, "most of us around here use the advance adapters sye." Why that one inparticular?

Back